Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, December 5, 2011

Medical Leave

It's official. I'm taking a one or two term medical leave from the PhD.

So, I'm going to be off until either May or Sept., depending on health and other things.

I may still do a little plugging away - reading some papers I have downloaded, drafting a proposal - or I may do nothing.

I want to intentionally focus more on my health....as in healing (not fixating). For example, perhaps I will try to pursue some treatment for the POTS and maybe I'll try to find myself a Dr. or specialist here in town. At least I'll make an effort to get in contact with my specialist.

With the pressure off, I'm hoping I will continue to get a little stronger. Historically, we are coming up on my worst time of year health wise (Feb - April). However, since the fall was so surprisingly bad, perhaps I'll have a good winter for a change? One can hope right?

I feel like I've made the right decision.

The hard part will be financial, but I'm sure I'll manage.

7 comments:

  1. It must be a hard decision, Gail. Still, you said it feels right so that is good too. You are in my thoughts today......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a very wise decision. After the fall you've had, some real rest will be a very good thing.

    I'm sure this was a tough decision for you, but I'm sure it will pay off.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I'm sure having it off your mind will help quite a bit.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you made the decision, one way or another. I can't imagine having classes hanging over my head. If you don't mind my suggestion, you might consider doing nothing before trying another doctor. Going to a new doctor is the worst, so for now enjoy a few audiobooks or TV, Project Runway is very good, especially if you can sew, so is Alaska State Troopers. Days are long, it's hard to fill the time when pain is high. But I bet the outdoors will help you, your photos are so interesting. Well, I just realized how cold it is there. Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, it was a struggle to come to a decision, at the same time, I felt it was the best route for now. I guess I have mixed feelings, but I'm just going to use the time off to heal up with no pressure which feels nice,

    Sue,
    I too hope some real rest pays off - rest with no pressure. I actually haven't been doing ANYTHING schoolwise most the fall anyways (as you can probably guess).

    ReplyDelete
  6. jenji, you hit the nail on the head there, it's not so much that I'll do less, just that there's no pressure or something looming over me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah,
    I'm glad you enjoy my blog...thanks for stopping by and reading and also for the ideas to fill the time. I'm hoping i don't get too squirrely and can really rest.

    ReplyDelete