Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Books I read in 2011

My favourite 5 books of the year are starred, however, none of them absolutely wowed me.


- Cutting for Stone was probably the best novel I read

- If you like fantasy, I really enjoyed the Game of Thrones series

- If you like youth fiction - Henery Neff's series is quite well done, especially if you get past the first book


If you just need a good laugh, Letters From a Nut by Ted Nancy had me howling.


What was your favourite book of the year?


*1. The Calligrapher's Daughter - Eugenia Kim

*2. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski

*3. Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

4. Ape House - Sara Greun

5. The Raven's Gift - Don Rearden

6. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a boy soldier - Ishmael Baeh

7. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

8. The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfus

9 The Little Giant of Aberdeen County - Tiffany Baker

10. The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

11. Nostradamus - Douglas Coupland

12. Letters from a Nut - Ted Nancy

13. Half Broke Horses - Jeannette Wells

*14. The Help - Kathryn Stockett

15. The Hound of Rowan - Henery Neff

16 HP and the Order of the Phoenix

17. HP and the Half Blood Prince

18. HP and the Deathly Hallows

19. The Girl She Used to Be - David Cristofano

20. The Second Siege - Henery Neff

21. The Fiend and the Forge - Henery Neff

22. Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford

23. HP and the Chamber of secrets

24. Irma Voth - Miriam Toews

25. Pendragon - D. J. Machale

*26. Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

27. Thirteenth Child: Frontier Magic - Patricia Wrede

28. Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin

29. Across the Great Divide - Patricia Wrede

30. Little Princes - Conor Grennan

31. A Storm of Swords - G. Martin

32. HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban

33. A Feast of Crows - G. Martin

34. HP and the Goblet of Fire - Rowling

35. The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery

36. Magor Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

37. Julie and the Wolves - Jean Craighead George

4 comments:

  1. Wow you really read some great books this year! I see many that I have enjoyed, too. My neighborhood book group is reading Half Broke Horses in January. I read Julie and the Wolves in 7th grade! I don't remember much of it but I remember liking it. I still have it, believe it or not - I should re-read it.

    Glad you enjoyed some good books this year - I find that books really help me through the rough times - nothing like escaping into good fiction, right?

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,
    Some of the youth fiction I picked using your book blog, which is probably why we read some similar titles :) THANKS!!
    I too, find reading a great escape from all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...an impressive list of books...and I have only read one of them! I think I need to deepen my book choices :) Mine are a bit foofooy....what I call "mindless reading".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Renee, I get embarrassed that I read youth fiction....i'm sure you don't read foofooy stuff. And if you do, I get it - sometimes that stuff just is restful if you know what I mean....I'm pretty eclectic with my tastes...I try to read some non fiction (for my brain), adult novels if they are recommended, and then a smattering of youth fantasy because I find it really fun. I like a good adventure novel. What was your favourite book of the year?

    ReplyDelete