Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, July 20, 2009

Riding the waves or not?

I guess one of the hardest parts of managing this PhD course is not knowing whether or not to ride the waves?

For example, if I do too much I can crash, or worse yet, relapse. However, sometimes when I start to feel ill and I push through, I'm fine....nothing happens (except that it sucks to push through when I'm feeling ill).

I feel like I'm continually asking questions and making assessments. I'm sick of it. For example, at break today I wasn't feeling too badly so I thought I'd keep going. However, the last 45min of class I was feeling awful, and yet I chose to push through rather than deal with the awkwardness of getting up and walking out. But then I came home and surprisingly wasn't feeling too bad. Which makes me think, wow, maybe I really can do more and push through? But I just don't know because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

It's going to be a very tough week so this may be my only blog entry all week. We have a 10 page paper to complete by Friday. It just happens that my friend is coming through town with her family (all 7 of them) and staying Tues. and Wed. night.

Problem is, when I go to class, I come home and need to lay down and rest, sometimes for the remainder of the day. So when am I going to write a paper? Luckily, I did manage 4 pages over the weekend.

But this is when I start to think - "I just don't want to do this to myself". Then I start feeling apathetic - "I just don't care". I think it's a combination of feeling sick and overwhelmed.
Anyways, I'm fading.........................................

2 comments:

  1. I have walked in your shoes. Feeling better, then worse, then better, then much worse. The unknown and unpredictable can be so frustrating! I hate to say this, but you might need to take a step back and slow down. It is so tempting to push through and act as if you don't have a chronic illness (especially when you're not feeling that bad), but it will always come back to bite you in the end...if not sooner, then later. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good point...you think I would have learned after 7 years....

    ReplyDelete