Wow, I overdid it this morning.
At the beginning of the PhD course, I had offered my car up if anyone needed it. Friday morning one woman in my course discussed borrowing it for grocery shopping - no problem.
I can't imagine being stuck on campus, having to grocery shop by bus (which some of them have been doing). Plus, it's not like I use my car much.
In my head I figured I'd go out to breakfast with folks, then loan them my car while I went home and rested.
Unfortunately, it turns out that none of them really drive standard (clutch)...so I just went to market and the grocery store with them. On top of the outing, I ended up doing the driving - which for me, is equal to siphoning the energy out of my body at high-speed. So my little one hour outing turned into THREE!!! when I should have been home resting.
Of course, chicken shit me didn't have the nerve to say something about my limitations. But at the grocery store and the market I found a place to sit down for the whole time, plus I did mention to one woman I have limited energy due to "health issues".
Oh well, at least it's Saturday and not Sunday. I have the rest of today and tomorrow to rest up.
I know that every person is different and we all have our challenges, but a three hour outing for me is a HUGE challenge and reminds me that I'm just no longer an "average" person (whatever that means).
On the positive side, I did make it through week one of the PhD, missing only 2 hours total. The outing today also gave me the opportunity to get to know a few classmates better.
I hope you're feeling a little better. It is so easy to overdo it on activities that "normal" people take for granted. Shopping of any kind is especially difficult for me, too.
ReplyDelete