Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, December 29, 2014

Happy Holidays!

I just came across this today, and I teared up watching it. It's Laura Hillenbrand talking about Unbroken and a little about having M.E.

Slightly annoying though, despite the fact that she specifically says that these days the condition is called M.E. or myalgic encephalomyelitis,  in the subtitle cbs calls it "chronic fatigue syndrome".  As soon as that old name is used, many people dismiss the condition as simply 'fatigue' or not a real disease.  Someday, someday, the media will actually use a proper name for the disease!!!

Anyways, it's still a really good interview.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/unbroken-author-opens-up-about-her-own-personal-struggle/

Also, while I can in no way compare myself to this amazing writer, I did find some parallels of how she manages to write/work and how I've managed to do my PhD studies and research from home, despite the disease.  Phone interviews, working from bed. And I don't suffer vertigo to the extent she does. Speaking of, I should be working right now, not writing a blog he he.

Friends came up for Christmas from Minnesota which was really nice.  Not only that, I wasn't crashed and felt pretty decent the whole time which hasn't happened at Christmas in ????? many years?!! They were here the night of the 23rd until mid day on the 25th. Perhaps it was partly that I wasn't crashed from having traveled for a change.

I didn't have a bad day until the 27th. We ate good food, like really yummy food, and worked on a jigsaw puzzle and visited.  Also amused ourselves with the antics of their dog who is this enormous black lab-ish dog.

I hope all of you also had a decent Christmas?  This week we have New Years, but I doubt I'll do more than watch TV, probably alone. As far as resolutions, like it or not, I have to try to hammer out this PhD this year.  I just can't stomach continuing much longer with it, I'm just sick of it. Also, I will be out of funding come August.  So cross your fingers that this winter is exceptionally productive for me.

Here is a holiday card for you.  It's a print I worked on for a while and I like the overall effect.  It's supposed to be the perspective of looking up through the trees at the night sky (and aurora).




No comments:

Post a Comment