I know I'm always saying M.E. (for me anyways) is very viral. Sometimes it takes me a couple days to know if it's just an immune crash or a cold virus. Well after more than a year and 1/2, I have a full blown cold. It's the same body achy, low energy, sore throat, but the sinus stuff is different with a cold, and the throat was bad enough that it woke me at 2 am the other night and took a long while to get back to sleep (eventually I had to resort to pain killers).
This cold makes me think I have less stamina than I used to. I used to just get on with things when I had a cold (work, activities, whatever), but I'm feeling like a complete wuss this time round.
On the other hand, were I able to choose between a cold and a crash day, hands down I'd take the cold every time. The feeling of ick and malaise and weakness is so so so so much worse with a crash than a cold.
On the plus, it seems to be a fast and furious virus and day 3 has already moved into sinuses. If I can avoid an ear infection and a cough, I'll be happy. But my productivity has gone way down.
Otherwise, nothing is new. I've been working on two prints for over a month now, but they are slow going. I'm also working on PhD almost every day, but haven't managed to do a 10 hour week since October, pathetic.
I'm pretty homebound at present, but not feeling as much cabin fever as I usually do when I'm unable to get out for a long while.
Because I'm not travelling to see family at Christmas this year, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The process of travelling, then dealing with all the family dynamics while ill, can be so overwhelming and depressing.
I do it almost evey Christmas because it has always been the important holiday for my family, and I know it means so much to my parents for me to come…but I can't tell you the sence of relief I have this year knowing I don't have to force this sick body through the whole ordeal, including the usual recovery which often takes more than a month!!!
This year, very unChristmasy, I'm putting myself and my health first. How about you? How will you accomadate yourself to manage the holidays? Or will you? I know it is a very tough time for most who suffer chronic illnesses.
me too, prefer cold than crash! though most people would show much more sympathy to cold than crash, simply they do not know what "crash" is. once my friend brought me fruits and vegs because she knew i got cold, but my long lasting crash, energy/breath/heart problems were just something i should shut up about.
ReplyDeleteglad to hear that you put your health before family gathering. i started doing that - though i have no family here but i just put health before social life - years ago. you will get better and better if you do that, slowly, eventually.