Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Uninspired

I try to post a blog entry about once a week.
But lately, I feel at a loss for anything new to say.

M.E. is with me every day, but illness wise, nothing seems to change all that much.  I live with it as best I can, or perhaps live despite it as best I can.

I am not pursuing any avenues to improve my health at present.  This is a good and bad thing. Good, because I'm not setting myself up for any dashed hopes (again), on the other hand, I feel no hope about my health improving without some kind of treatment.  The M.E. has thrived in my system for almost 12 years, and I expect it would take something pretty big to shift things.

I decided to go off the midodrine (POTS med) as the side effects were so annoying, and I couldn't get my dose up very high. The low dose was improving things a little, but not enough to stick with the side effects (weird tingling sensations, goosebumps, shivers, headache).

I have a prescription for Hydrofloricortisone which I will try before I see my cardiologist in October but I wanted a break from drugs for a month or so.

I have been setting up interviews for my PhD research which I will do over the phone or Skype during June and July.  I'm hoping that I can schedule them so that they don't cause my health to decline….I think I can if I'm smart about it.

I did two outings over the last two days and yesterday, my throat was so painful, bloodshot and red I was sure I had a virus.  But no, it was an M.E. immune flare due to overdoing it.  I really seem to do best with only one outing of around an hour a week, or at least 3 days between outings.

On another note, I finally chose a name for my upcoming show of my linoleum block prints "under boreal skies".  While a little cliche, I think the name is fitting.  Showing my prints feels akin to being naked in public.  I am by no means a gifted artist, it is just something I love to do, and even more important, something I can manage to do during my good hours.

Here's my print of the week….although the final block sat around for at least 2 weeks before I finally printed it.  The bird is called a whiskey jack, grey jay, Canada jay.  It was inspired by my outing in the previous post where I sat in the mossy spruce grove and the whiskey jacks came by to check me out.  They are brave and curious birds and have always been a favourite of mine.


I also wanted to share an interesting study I just read (but didn't fully understand) about how those with M.E. and M.S., but not healthy controls have trouble maintaining neuronal structure: http://omicsonline.org/open-access/brain-derived-neurotrophic-factor-is-decreased-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-and-multiple-sclerosis-2155-9562-S12-013.pdf

Also, a fellow M.E. sufferer just recently started a blog.  I love her writing but especially her drawings…they are so telling, they hit the nail on the head: http://tangerinebeak.tumblr.com

2 comments:

  1. "under boreal skies"
    That's the perfect name! I hope your show to be successful.

    There's always hope. You never know how powerful your own body is. I am getting better and better, this first step I did was not challenge my body.

    Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Upnorth. You always seem to have something interesting to write. Boreal is a word I haven't heard for a long time, perfect title. Sweet bird, and speaking of birds I have blue birds perhaps making a nest in a birdhouse out my computer room window. And a turtle appeared near our front door two days ago, much excitement. I just pace pace pace and hang on for dear life, this all began before 1998 when I began to realize that something was wrong with my voice if I overtalked or talked too excitedly, I became exhausted. Too wierd to tell the doctor !! M.E. cfs was a slow onset for me. Thanks for the new blogger link. Your throat flares sound so horrible. I don't get too spiritual or religious but I am amazed at our drive, our spirit, that keeps us intellectually on the move. from Leah

    ReplyDelete