Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Friday, June 13, 2014

I just had to do Something!

http://www.microbediscovery.org

Has anyone heard of this?

Governments and drug companies put so little money into M.E./CFS research that it's almost a joke.  Despite this, they love to spend money on coming up with new definitions for the illness every few years and sponsoring workshops without paying attention to any of the research that has been done, or turning to specialists who have the most knowledge about the condition.

Why isn't anyone doing anything about this illness? I was feeling so angry about this today that I donated to the cause above.  This very well known and respected virologist cannot get funding to study M.E./CFS because those who grant funds ignore the importance of researching M.E./CFS.  Instead, he's turned to crowd funding.  This study could be completed and perhaps published within a year if they could get the funds.  And I've been watching the amount raised over the last few months, and feeling really sad that they are not even a 10th of the way there.

I am so broke it's ridiculous, but I donated anyways. I just needed to do something other than stew.  If you are a friend or sufferer and feel you can donate even a dollar, I think it is a very worthy cause.  If every sufferer with M.E. in the U.S. donated one dollar, the study would be funded.

5 comments:

  1. It makes us all angry! I heard that research into male balding gets more funding for research, and probably more people who care about it! BALDING! Come on...
    Good for you for helping with what you can even though you don't have much to give. Something needs to be done, I hope and hope every single day I will wake to news of a breakthrough. I'll look into donating myself now, every little helps, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ridiculous Hayley, and I find on my sickest days sometimes are my most frustrating because I think "if this were another illness I'd be at the Dr. or hospital" but instead I just lay suffering alone with no thought of treatment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I too will donate.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good Leah, I think it's a worthy one, although they are far off their goal. It did make me feel better about things at least for a little while.

      Delete