I decide after feeling cooped up in this house that I will
take the dog for a short walk near the river.
I put on my shoes, grab the leash, and head for the car. I pull out of the driveway. I’m already feeling out of breath, out of
energy. By the time I drive a ½ block, I feel sucked dry - there is nothing left in me I am so shattered….
At the first stop sign I put my head on the steering
wheel. I realize I am too ill and
exhausted to even drive somewhere, let alone walk. My leg muscles are in tremor just pushing down
the car break or accelerator. I drive around
the block and park back in the driveway.
I sit in the parked car, staring at the house. I could sit here all day. I rally myself mentally to make what seems
like a herculean effort, to open the car door, stand up, get myself into the
house so I can lay down.
I love my house, but sometimes it is also my prison. I want to escape….I crave freedom. I want that old body back, the one that could
run and hike and paddle and socialize and work.
I want to escape this life I live now in a sick body. It has almost been 12 years and I am still
sick. I am still sick after 12 years, how can this be?
Sometimes I feel like if I go somewhere different, on an
outing to the drug store, a short drive or walk with the dog, I will somehow
leave it behind. I am deluded; this illness, it is inescapable. How do I not know this by now?
It walks with me to
the car, weighing my limbs down. It has
penetrated my autonomic nervous system, I stand and I’m dizzy, tachycardic, and
shaky. It has sent tendrils down into my
every cell – I feel the poison of this illness coursing through me, my lymph
nodes throb, my throat is raw and blistered.
I take a breath and feel the heaviness, the ache…this disease lives deep
in my chest, I’m sure of it.
Occasionally, my dysfunctional immune system attempts to fight back, it
mounts a fever, I am shivering, bleary eyed and achy. Or I wake up drenched
from a night sweat – so wet I have to change my clothes.
You monster of an illness!! I hate you, but I can’t rid
myself of you. Even worse, if I fight
back, if I ignore and push, 36 hrs later PEM sets in. My throat swells, I am two or three times as
weak and sick. I am the colour of
paste, I can't stand without blacking out. I lay in bed cursing myself for
trying, for overdoing….I did this to myself, caused the PEM crash.
But I don’t learn, I always do it again.
Another day, I manage to drive to the woods. I walk some, ignoring the weakness and
illness pulsing through me as best as possible.
But I can’t walk far, I’m just too feeble, too weak. I sit on the thick soft carpet of green
moss. I look up through the spruce trees
- sun beams penetrate the green canopy.
Curious Grey Jays flit down to some lower branches nearby to investigate
my presence. The dog wades in the
temporary ponds created by recent snowmelt.
Even here I can’t escape illness, I already feel the effort
to get here doing it’s damage…and I know the worst of it, the dreaded PEM, won’t hit
me for more than a day. But I try to put it out of my mind because, for a
change, I am looking at a different scene, breathing in the coolness of the
forest, the air rich with damp, earthy smells, the sounds of red squirrels and birds, a distant river.
Hanging there, upnorth. It takes time. Longtime. Our brains were not programmed for this illness, instead, they always push us to the direction that's not good for our bodies. That's why we got crashed again and again. But I suppose there is always hope.
ReplyDeleteHi Upnorth, I guess our spirit is oblivious to the reality of our lives. I even sometimes plan out places I'm going to travel to, trips I'm going to take and I can barely accomplish the nearest small drug store or similar to you I get there but have to turn around because there are no parking spaces close enough to the door. My hope is not about a cure anymore, but holding on where I'm at.. For years I did all those popular creative visualization exercises - for naught. ----- Your dog is so beautiful. Hope you survived the trip to the woods without pem. from Leah
ReplyDelete