It is M.E./CFS awareness day today.
As one of my friends with M.E. put it once
"happy f-ing day to M.E." Haha
There were the early years where I would do my
little part to try to raise awareness.
While there is way more science showing biologic
abnormalities than when I got sick, I have yet to meet a Dr. outside my old specialist
who has heard of a single one of these studies or has any kind of knowledge
about the illness. There is still no diagnostic test, there is still not
a single drug to treat M.E. specifically. The amount of funding going towards research is laughable.
And the rare time where I disclose my diagnosis, I
get to hear the stupidest things….here's a small selection from over the years:
- "I'm really tired all the time too, maybe I have that?" - M.E. is multi system illness, not 'tired'
- "Have you tried changing your diet"? - no, in all my years of suffering, I didn't think of that one, duh
- "CFS, you know, tired house-wife syndrome" - this one was from a Dr.
- "Eat your vegetables" - yes a chronic multi system illness can be cured by vegetables
- "Try meditating" - while helpful for coping, once again, not a cure
- "You need to get out more" - because I just love laying around ill at home &*%$#$!
- "Try swimming" - really? (side note: have tried this numerous times, but found I usually crashed just from the outing - even without swimming)
- "Your problem is low iron" - sigh
- "Sometimes I'm socially phobic too" - a phobia is an unrealistic or irrational fear, those who are home or bed-bound due to illness are not 'phobic'
I better end that list before I spiral further
down the bitter train.
On another note, I had no idea I had so many M.E. friends on
facebook until the last two days when much of my newsfeed has been filled with M.E.
awareness stuff. I guess one good thing that has come out of chronic illness, is
all the amazing friends/fellow sufferers I have met along the way. Such a
strong resilient bunch of people who endure unthinkable burdens of illness
daily often without support from family or the medical establishment.
(I am in no way GRATEFUL for the 12 years I have spent plagued with constant viral symptoms AND WEAKNESS COMPARABLE TO THE WORST
DAY OF INFLUENZA)! That said, sometimes good things can be found within the muck.
Like the friends I have made, learning about art and printmaking, being able to read a lot, learning to be
alone.
What have I done to raise awareness on Facebook?
NOTHING. For one, I'm not completely 'out' on Facebook, although if you really
wanted to know what illness I had, you could figure it out from the groups I'm
in.
This year I'm feeling jaded. It's almost been
12 years sick. I'm just as sick as I was 12 years ago. I'm also older and
incredibly deconditioned. For example, I have the added bonus of a lower back
that's always seizing up when I try to do the smallest of things. Also,
the POTS has gotten worse due to deconditioning, etc. ect. And I've spent
so much of the last 12 years laying in bed or on the couch alone….just trying
to get through the day until I fall asleep.
And what treatments out of the 100s that I've tried
have helped? A small handful at best, and none have brought me more than mild
improvement. For example, if I pace my activity and never do too much
activity, I can avoid some of the worst, most fluey days. On the other hand, I
miss out on much of life and am terribly deconditioned from being inactive, making a lot of things
worse.
Interesting fact:
Did you know May 12th was chosen because it's Florence Nightingale’s
birthday and she was thought to have had M.E. or an M.E. like illness? The man who
instigated M.E. awareness day was a sufferer and advocate who after years of suffering,
had enough, and ended his own life. Very sad, but Thomas Hennessy's
legacy is a big one.
I actually wrote my 'story' about getting ill in
order to raise awareness one year for M.E. day
If you have M.E. (or have a friend or family member
with M.E.), what are you doing to raise awareness, if anything?
A few nights ago, I took some photos of the harbour. You can still see some ice (in the harbour and in the distance), but we are starting to get hints of spring here.
With thoughts of you today Gail.......on a day we wish was like any other ordinary day. Love the photos. So beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Renee, hope your health is holding :)
DeleteInteresting, Gail. I didn't do a lot for ME awareness day either, but did post the video I took part in about M.E. (produced a couple of years ago by "Get Well From M.E. out of the UK). I post that every year on May 12 on my FB. I too struggle with being totally out there...the judgments and silly suggestions get a bit much to deal with on a continual basis. Then I think, well if we don't keep talking about it, it will never be out there. Sigh.... so difficult to know what to do.
ReplyDeleteI remember that video, thanks again for doing that. I appreciate those who are a bit braver than me in advocating. I have done little bits over the years but these days am more hesitant. I think, ironically, I'm 'fatigued' dealing with the assumptions and ignorance of medical people and the general public.
Delete