Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Friday, March 1, 2013

A PhD from Bed

Can I really manage to complete a PhD from bed?  I have finished all the course work.  Two of those courses involved in-person attendance; that was the hardest part.  With accommodations (which meant extensions and missing much of the class time) I did end up completing those.  I think in part, the second course in the summer of 2011 is responsible for the last year of relapse.  It was too much.  I had to take a year and a term of medical leave.

So now all I have to do is write a portfolio and a research proposal, do my research (interviews mostly by phone), analyse those interviews, write up my findings, develop some discussion and conclusions, attend an oral defence and voila, I'll have a PhD....which I'm too sick to use anyways.  Hahaha

So why am I doing it?  Well to be honest, it gives me a modicum of satisfaction and fulfillment.  Every morning the last two months I have been spending an hour or two reading, writing, and editing.  It feels "healthy".  It's not making me any sicker, and it is distracting me from my body- which is a good thing.

I have made some small stepwise goals (flexible of course) and I just finished the first one....so that feels really nice.  My 56 page review of literature is off to my advisor.

And I figure if I ever finish this, and I can keep up with 10-15hrs of at-home work on a flexible schedule, with a PhD I might be able to find contracts such as research and writing that I can do from home....so there is a chance I'll use this.  But that's too far off to think about much right now.

The last couple days I have been very ill.  It's very difficult.  It's the old fluey feeling, immune symptoms, and crushing fatigue.  I now own a blood pressure monitor which includes a heart rate monitor and I know that the POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia) is pretty major at present. Within 2 min of standing, my heart rate goes from the 70s to over 120, sometimes as high as 160.  To put this into perspective, 160 is above my age-based target heart rate for exercise and that's if I were healthy!!!!  Just standing up sends my heart into that kind of panic.

I had an appointment with my NP and my second test came back negative for c. Difficile which is wonderful news.  My gut is still in bad shape (not as bad) so they are sending me to another gastroenterologist (hopefully this one is a bit nicer).

My iron is low (7), but as usual I'm not anemic.  My white count and neutrophils were low as per usual, but barely (I think neutrophils were 1.8, low normal is 2) and not near as low as last time where I think my WBC was 3.2 (normal depending on the lab is 4 or 4.5 through 10 or 10.5)

I'm curious from the pole on the right that so many of us have daily fluctuations in how bad we feel.  I'm going to add a pole to see if we all have the same daily pattern as well?

I had an exciting moment today.  I sold a blockprint.  Someone saw them hanging at a local restaurant and wanted to buy one.  I've only ever sold 3 or 4 so that felt affirming.  Here's the one she bought.  It was one of my first prints from 2008.


9 comments:

  1. Good for you upnorth...selling your work. Yahoo...and I do think it helps to have a purpose like you have...doing what you love even if it is in small baby steps...purpose and passion..We all need to have passion and purpose. Learning is a great passion for Joel and I too...and some day...some day you WILL use this PHd I believe it, friend. Truly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee....learning is a passion of mine for sure. Although I'm SURE I wouldn't be doing this were I not sick....but still, it seems to be the perfect career for me given my limitations. I hope you are right about making it useful someday.

      Delete
  2. I love your block prints...i would buy one for sure...what we do with CFS...it's always hard not to think what we could do without it...much love - hd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Heather, thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. upnorth it is amazing to see how much you have done. good luck for your phd project.
    beautiful work! congrats for your selling of them. may i ask you what type of wood block you used? i am preparing wookblock printing class for my students, trying to find a cheap material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what Yun Yi, I do lino cut, not wood cut. I would like to try wood cuts at some point....I order my mounted lino blocks from DickBlick...it's very economical, but I don't know where you are located. THat's great, I wish I could take that class. I have a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks upnorth. Lino would be expensive to me because I need to buy a lot. But thanks for the info. Your works are excellent I could hardly see what else you need to learn.

      Delete
  5. HI Upnorth. I love that blockprint. Maybe it reminded the buyer of the Iditerod which started over the weekend. And the Northern Lights ? I've always been fascinated with Northern Canada and Alaska, not that I've ever travelled much. So congratulations. I remember when you were struggling to get through the classes on campus. You are a real trooper, never giving up. You'll get the Phd, that's for sure. We need an intellectual pursuit, even if only a short time most days. I study languages, You'll make it, from Leah

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, thanks for your supportive comments Leah. I take it you're not from the north then? I used to see northern lights fairly often, for some reason more often in winter. But they are even more dramatic north of here. What languages do you study/speak? I've always wanted to speak another language. I took French for 5 years in school, but never got very good.

    ReplyDelete