Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Thursday, March 28, 2013

A double edged sword

I continue to suffer a bad period.  I feel like I'm always saying this.  But after I managed to get over the  c. difficile infections in early to mid Feb., I had a month of not too bad.  Not great, but I wasn't feeling completely incapacitated all the time.  Then sometime in early March I just got a lot worse.  I was having trouble walking even very short stints, standing at all.  I have just been feeling so so sick and fluey.

Well this week, I finally had a couple decent, less sick days and I completely over-did it activity wise.  I have so much trouble holding back when my energy improves a tad.

So now I'm worse than ever today (very crashed).  It has been hurting so much to breathe and I looked in my throat and noticed it is more blistered than usual and my left tonsil is swollen.  I expect that blistering and/or inflammation reaches down into my bronchial tubes.  That's what my specialist and I figured in the past anyways...that the breathing pain is inflammation probably caused by immune issues and/or the continual low grade virus I seem to be fighting.  And it is definitely related to the M.E. because when I am worse, the throat and breathing pain is worse.

Oh well.  It is what it is.

I have cut back some on my PhD writing hours.  But I have been doing too much art.  My parents helped me purchase a little home press which is fairly new.  I can't seem to stop myself trying to print things every day.  I have lots of linoleum blocks sitting around that I have never been able to "try" as I didn't have a press and hand-pressing takes so much work.

But I need to learn to slow down.  I've been pressing a layer (one colour) every day or every other day.  There is a little standing up involved but the clean up seems to take the most out of me even though I do it sitting on a stool (maybe because it falls at the end of the session).  I have been forced to slow down now as I'm so much worse again.  But I thought I'd share one of my (kind of) successes.  Much as I'm very excited still, the press itself is a double edged sword-until I learn to print every 3 or 4 days maybe? Or once a week.  I have been keeping the sessions very short (under an hour).



It's a 3-block 8x10 print.  I have had it sitting around for a couple years and have never had the chance to see what the 3 layers might look like.....I was pleased with the graphic comic like look to the finished product.  Not sure what to call it "Ravens in Snow"  "Winter Ravens"  any ideas?

16 comments:

  1. beautiful print, upnorth! i don't know how did you do the gradient but, don't bother to explain.

    i was like you, fought to work until the "last blood", then i learned that rest, or "being lazy", was pretty much the only way i could get better, so i accepted it. i hope you could rest, rest, and rest more, and enjoy rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm better sometimes than others. Today, I am determined to rest despite the fact that it is gorgeous out! Every cell is calling for me to do an outing but I know I just can't manage. The gradient is easy...when I am using the bayer/roller on my pallet I add white or a light colour to the bottom end of the ink spread and then I end up with a gradient.

      Delete
  2. Love your block print- I was wondering where you get your lino supply? is it the thin lino or is it the 3/4 inches softer stuff? I keep on getting excited with being creative. I have just started experimenting with painting on fabric and also consider making stamp out of lino. Keeping busy is important in my opinion-

    I'd be so curious to see your 3 stamps and how they interlock.
    from another sick patient who needs to remain anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I order it in bulk from dickblick...I use the battleship mounted lino, but with the new press I want to try unmounted. I warm up the lino in the microwave or sun for a bit so it is softer when I carve it.
      Maybe I'll post the three layers if I print a few more of these....I'm thinking of doing 12 total (I did 7 on the first go).

      If printing by hand on your fabric, though, I would use the rubbery stuff that's easy to carve. I think one brand is called "easy cut"? It's more expensive than the lino, but still pretty less expensive at dickblick I think than lets say and art store.

      Thanks for commenting on my post/blog. I hope your creative endevours help you cope with sickness and they do for me.

      Delete
    2. yes I have been looking at it online, it's called Speedball Speedycut. I think the toughest part is deciding what do I want to print on fabric and wouldn't it be cheaper to look for a commercial fabric? :-)
      Then it will be about what color- I do a lot of research on the web- looking for inspiration.

      I am an avid follower of your blog- we are in the same age range, about the same level of illness and probably as well the same drive to be creative- looking for an outlet- any outlet from the damn disease.

      Delete
    3. I'm the same!!! I have favourite printmakers and I spend time just looking at their work online and trying to figure out how they did it. A friend of mine does screen printing on fabric and she's going to do a children's book using those prints as the illustrations....maybe that sounds good? Although I've seen some pretty neat block prints on fabric too. Good luck, whatever you decide to try. Its such a tough illness and there is still so much stigma that it's nice to know we're not alone (me too).

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful, upnorth. I like both titles! Hang in there, friend. Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always for your positive support Renee. I'm loving the sun, hopefully it has an effect on my health soon. Please soon, please!

      Delete
  4. Just Beautiful! I love it you are very talented! The PhD work has to be exhausting, i always found mental work almost harder than doing physical activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. hkd, for some reason for me I crash worse (much worse) from anything physical rather than mental tasks....the exception being driving. Driving is a major trigger for me. I know that decent cognition is a real blessing for me and unique compared to most people with M.E. I do get minor brain fog still and I do all mental (phd type) work before noon when I am freshest. The first 3 or 4 years of illness I had serious fog/pressure in my head non-stop but all I can say is I think that part healed? Sorry I haven't been commenting on your blog. I enjoy reading and I follow it, but I just can't figure out how to leave comments. It's always asking for emails (despite the fact I've entered one) and for me to register...so just know I am reading and following in spirit :)

      Delete
  5. This is just beautiful, Upnorth. I wish you so much betterness - what a gruellingly difficult time you have had. And I salute you for finding a way of still producing something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your raven print. I like the name 'ravens in snow.' I like 'winter ravens' too but then it sounds like that's their actual name.
    So many layers of trees, I do love that, you created depth in the woods. But how much we have to pay for creating !!! Being Canadian you must be familiar with Emily Carr and her striving to paint the forests. I sure hope you are feeling a little better, well I should say lots better, but we all know that's too much to hope for with this blasted disease. Leah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your prints are grand. Beautiful, even.

    BUt I want to be clear:

    I
    Want
    THat
    Dog.

    ;)

    Rest up, Lady.

    best, jenji

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are funny. You can not have my dog, really. But in your honour I will post a few photos of her from a couple weeks ago.

      Delete
  8. Hey Upnorth,

    I'm back from one of my hiatuses. Oh, God... My heart hurts when I read you are still suffering so much. It's unthinkable for me... I feel so blessed that I am improving, yet so guilty, and SO sorry for you and others who continue in this relentless battle...

    I love your print!! Are you going to be selling some of your work? Would love to have some of your work on my wall to remind me of you all the way across the world, still soldiering on. xx

    ReplyDelete