Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The ups and downs

my dorky loyal friend
Well I'm back home.  It feels nice in some ways.  I like being in my own bed.  But the travel day back and the day following were just terrible.  Overwhelming waves of sickness, weakness and the feeling of poison coursing through my body.   I didn't care if I died, I felt so sick.

But two days after my travel I picked up again.  I kept saying "This is much better, much better, I can't believe how much better I feel!"  You know, I never feel well.  I never feel healthy.  I feel as if no matter what, I am dragging a sick, heavy body around with me.  But when I'm worse or crashed, it is so severe that I almost can't take it mentally or emotionally.

While there are fluctuations in severity day to day like the ones I just experienced, there are also  fluctuations within each day.

In the morning, the OI is at it's worst.  I am dizzy with blackouts if I stand or even sit.  However, it is my best time of day M.E. wise.  I feel the least fatigued, fluey, and ill.  As the afternoon approaches I start to slide downhill and by 5 or 6 p.m., it peaks.  Two p.m. until 6 p.m. is my absolute worst time of day.  It doesn't matter if I eat, rest, or cry and scream in frustration, this is how it has been since the beginning.  Then, in the evening I start to feel it lift a little.  My point being, as I try to endure the worst of the day, I tell myself to hold on, that there is at least a little relief waiting if I can do a few more hours.

I am curious if others with M.E. have these fluctuations so I've added a poll on the right.

Lets try skijouring
While I was visiting friends, they often went skijouring with their giant black lab.  If you have never heard of skijouring, it means to be pulled behind a dog while on skis.  Here is a photo of me trying to skijour my dog Teagan in the alley behind my friends' house.

It was a 5 min ordeal.  Teagan would feel herself pull in the harness then come running back to me like "what the heck was that?"  I think she might get used to the idea if she walked in a harness more often and got the feel for it.  (Unfortunately I don't have a harness and I don't have the health to take her for a walk...I rely mostly on others for that.)  Most pet dogs are taught NOT to pull on a leash so it is a strange thing for them to get accustomed to.

It was fun to try skijouring anyways.  I was so weak, though, that I couldn't even clamp the ski onto one of the boots by myself.  And it was no surprise afterwards when I had a slew of ridiculous symptoms like leg and arm tremors, muscle shakes, and severe muscle fatigue even though I did almost nothing active in the process and the whole thing was only a few minutes of activity total.  I endured what felt like buzzing in my muscles for hours afterwards.


checking out the snow sculptures
While away, I mostly rested and did my daily PhD writing like at home; however, I did get a few outings.  One day, a good friend from my past came to visit and we went and looked at some of the snow sculptures at the local winter festival.

winter shadows
Another day, I took some photos hoping that they would inspire more art (block printmaking) in the future.

Overall, I'm so glad I made the trip to have a change of space and see old friends.  It was really hard-hitting to watch them live their lives (work, activity, volunteer) and remember that I used to do that too. The contrast was striking.  It's like everyone's life moved on while mine screeched to a stop.  I live off disability and the charity of friends.  While I remind myself often that it's not my fault....that I never wanted to be sick and mostly useless to society, it's still hard to come to terms with.

But despite being face to face with the stark contrast of well people's lives as well as my life "before" and "now", it was great to see friends.  And friends who knew me when I was busy and active and social and healthy.

9 comments:

  1. Great pictures ..so glad you were able to go and see friends and be out in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Renee, even if it is just moments here or there, I appreciate I have those as I know people with this (I'm sure you do too) who don't even leave the bedroom.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree that it is hard-hitting watching friends go on with their lifes when ours have screeched to a halt. I'm a bit older than you and most of my friends are empty nesters - our kids have been to college and are on their own. Last Sunday flowers were delivered to me by a lady from church. Obviously in her 70's, I was envious that she could deliver flowers to me.

    I saw a post on another CFS sufferers site about antivirals. Were you able to get rid of the viruses? I have EBV, CMV, and HHV-6. I tried Famvir and it made me so nauseas that I quit taking it after 8 weeks. Wondering how you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments, Diana. I tried three rounds of Valtrex at different periods. Unfortunatley for me, I don't think they targeted the right virus....I tried Famvir once and had terrible nausea like you. I didn't even last 5 days I was so naseous! How did you get tested for those? I have always showed high levels of EBV since getting ill, but most Dr.s think it's meaningless...the Dr. that treated me with antivirals no longer treats in this province. I hope they come out with something more targetted and effective soon, but Im not holding my breath.

      Delete
  3. Very nice pictures, Upnorth. One of the things I struggle with most, is watching everyone else continue on with their lives while mine has come to a halt (that and those who think I just need to get out more etc. etc.)

    I too get those "leg and arm tremors, muscle shakes and severe muscle fatigue" from doing a bare minimum of things. I'm going to check out your poll, but yes, 2 - 5 or 6 pm is my worst time of the day as well. I am also much worse in the winter months (am quite often almost symptom-free during the other months).

    Glad you were able to get away with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you have the same "bad" time of day. Fall is usually my best season, although the last two years it wasn't too great. I think the sun helps me on the whole. It is hard to watch the world go by isn't it....it's funny how in the beginning we are irate to have missed weeks or months...now the years have gone by, a decade for me. I guess it does teach us to appreciate the little moments of joy when we can, though.

      Delete
  4. That.
    Dog.
    She is so adorable.

    So happy to see that you had a good time.

    One day at a time.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you had good time with friends. I also had to wonder how they take your illness... wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to hear that you got together with old friends, but as you said hard on the emotions. I haven't been able to take that leap, so afraid of setbacks. If I over do my arms I get severe fatigue, sounds much like yours and the muscle shakes in my lower legs I also have. I seem to be getting up later and later in the morning but late afternoon is the worse. Warm weather helps a little bit, can't wait for spring. I live such an interior live, on all levels, that I don't have a whole lot to say to old friends unless they read. I like to keep to a routine, helps to get through the day. I just want to shake some people and say 'do you know how lucky you are to be able to walk and not think about it !!!' Thanks for the photos, loved them. Leah

    ReplyDelete