As you know, I usually blog about once a week. For some reason, I've been uninspired this past week or so. I don't feel as if I have anything new or interesting to write about.
I've just been plugging away at day to day life, trying to walk the balance of doing SOMETHING, without being active enough to make myself sicker....Sometimes I am successful in this mission, other times not. For example, the last two days I was terribly crashed, but today I don't feel too bad (and am employing heaps of willpower trying NOT to overdo it).
I keep lists and put very superficial little tasks on the them as well as bigger ones (bigger ones being things like paying a bill or a needed outing e.g. the Dr. or the bank). When I'm able to check my little check boxes, it gives me the illusion that I've done something with my week. It makes me feel as if my daily life is not all for naught. Kind of ridiculous, but there you have it.
I checked a lot of boxes this week. Today, for instance, I had to get some bloodwork done to check my mild anemia and my white blood count (WBC). I was sitting there at the lab (wishing I wasn't) and unfortunately after she (the phlebologist) injected the needle into my arm and filled the first tube, the blood stopped coming. So she jammed the needle around under the skin trying to find the vein for a while and asked if it hurt? Finally I suggested we try the other arm. So arm one was already bruised.
In my left arm she hit a vein right off but it started leaking under the skin. She asked me if I was on blood thinners because my blood seemed thin? (I wondered if this were true or whether she was feeling the need for an excuse?) When she finished with the left arm the blood was just oozing out and I had to ask for a second cotton ball to soak it all up. We sat for a few minutes while I applied pressure and finally it started to clot. So I came home with two bruised, sore arms.
However, to put two measly needle pricks into perspective, I woke up this morning and my armpits were just aching and pumping. I say pumping because sometimes I can feel the lymph flowing in that area of my axillary lymph nodes, especially when they are tender. So with that soreness to deal with, the needle bruises seemed minimal. And to put it into even greater perspective, none of it was all that painful. I am actually both very lucky, and very thankful, in that I experience almost no pain at all with M.E. except a sore throat and painful lymph nodes.
Sometimes I wonder how people do the exhaustion, fluiness, dizziness, and weakness with cognitive dysfunction and pain to boot!!! That being said, I've been told many times by well meaning 'well' people "I could never face what you face everyday!", "I could never stand being that sick!"
.....well it's not like it's a choice? What is my choice? I can live with being this sick or not live at all.....so I choose to live and manage as best I can. But for some reason I find that statement annoying because if that person came down with M.E. they wouldn't have any choice BUT to try to manage as well.
I'm sure it's the same with those in chronic pain....
So why did I title this post the "infection connection"? Well I can't help but think after 10 years that I have some kind of ongoing infection. I mean why else would my lymph nodes hurt and my throat blister and swell? Why else do I still get fevers? What better explains my low WBC or chronic gastritis or more recently my dilitated pancreatic duct? Obviously there's more to it than infection (infection doesn't explain the OI or the tremors), but I can't help but think it plays a pretty big role.
Hi upnorth, when I found out I had Lyme all this time, I asked my doc about the OI and he said it'll go away as the Lyme is treated so there might actually be a connection between an infection and OI (if he's right).
ReplyDeleteI do the exact same thing with lists! Makes me feel very accomplished...and if I did something that wasn't on my list, then sometimes I add it and check it off after the fact to make myself feel better :) Anyway, glad you were able to have a productive week!
DolceVita, That's interesting about the infection making OI worse. I have read that OI can be triggered by an infection so I guess it makes sense. Maybe it is related to my possible ongoing infection, who knows. I like that I'm not the only list maker....it is funny how checking those boxes can make one feel productive and useful, isn't it?
DeleteWow...that stinks, upnorth. I am so sorry you are struggling so much right now again. I agree with you....an ongoing infection just seems the most sensible with the way your body reacts. Hope the bruises heal quickly.
ReplyDeleteIn a lot of ways, Renee, I'm doing better than I have most the year, so at least that's a positive despite the ongoing joys and lovely treats of the illness. Thanks for always checking in on me, I really appreciate it. I hope you're doing OK this week, haven't caught up on blogs yet and I ALWAYS read the saturday scibbles.
DeleteThis is interesting to me, upnorth...because I too get those sore and painful armpits, along with the feeling of the lymph flowing (it's usually only my left arm though). I've never heard anyone else express this before....but it is exactly the way I feel. In the beginning, the reason I went to the Dr. was because my left arm pit area, upper arm and shoulder area was sooo sore. I could not lift my arm higher than a 45* angle and it felt like the whole area was swollen. The Dr. dx me with frozen shoulder (which it wasn't ) and sent me for physio. The physio therapist was the one that measured my arms and found the left one was 2.5 inches larger than the right one. As time went on, both sides of my body really hurt too. The physio people seemed to get "that" (whatever it was...seemed like some kind of fluid just parked in my lymph nodes) moving...and eventually the swelling under the arm etc. came down. Today though, I still get that from time to time...and as you said, can feel the lymph flowing.
ReplyDeleteI love your idea about using check lists and checking things off and am going to try this.
Wow, you even had swelling from the lymph? Crazy! But I guess it makes sense if our bodys are constantly trying to rid us of infection. My nodes in my throat have been swollen for years. My armpit nodes don't seem to swell, only hurt.
ReplyDeleteMy thinking was the swelling was from the lymph (but I never had that confirmed by any Dr. Nobody could tell me what it was though) When I went to physio, they hooked me up to this machine...little electrode like things to the areas that were most swollen and kind of "zapped"(little impulses) those areas. It felt really nice while it was being done, but afterward and the next couple of days I felt really "icky".....kind of cold/shivery, shaky and just plain gross -- kind of the way one feels when they're getting the flu. Whatever was there though was moved on/out because the swelling went down considerably and I had about 50% more movement in my arm.
ReplyDelete