Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A wrench in the plan

I am contemplating how completely different my life has been since coming down with a disabling chronic illness.  Not only is my life completely different from what I ever imagined, it is also a life in stark contrast to the lives of the healthy people I know.

When I was younger (mostly in my 20's) I was very active.  I had a job that involved being physically engaged (wilderness guide/outdoor educator).  I had a bucket list of goals/hopes and I expected I'd be one of those "older" people I knew that still skied, mushed, ran, socialized, worked, volunteered etc.

I expected I would continue on the path of an active, productive, healthy and useful human.

But it is not just those of us that are ill that have wrenches thrown in the paths of our lives.  I realize all kinds of things can happen that change the "course" of an individual's life.  Death of a loved one, loss of a job, an economic depression, in some countries war, or perhaps disaster (fire, earthquake, flood, hurricane).

You think you are on one track, and all of a sudden, you are on another (with little choice in the matter).

One of the hardest things for me the first few years was loosing the identity that I had attached to my work and lifestyle. I thought being an active outdoorswoman was who I was.  I "identified" with all the things I did.  So when I lost my health and my career, I also felt I'd lost my identity.

As well, when you are sick and feel awful every day, when everyday is a struggle physically (which of course affects the mental and the emotional), you feel a shift in your personality....well at least I did.  Sue just wrote a great post about the everyday grind of being sick here: http://livewithcfs.blogspot.ca

I am no longer active, or busy, or employed.  Rather than energetic, light and friendly, I so often feel heavy and cranky and impatient.  Someone recently pointed out how I'm much more of an intellectual than a people focused person.  It hurt.  While I've always enjoyed that intellectual side, the last 10 years my lack of sociability is by no means a choice. When social events or outings are so draining, you tend to avoid them.  Being too sick to leave the house is also a huge deterrent to being social. I have even turned from an "extrovert" on personality tests to an "introvert".

I've been thinking about this in relation to a friend reunion that is happening this week.  It would a be a 4 1/2 hour car journey (one way) to attend. There were some real efforts to bring it closer to where I live that didn't pan out.

I had thought I'd wrangle the rides I needed from people to attend (I can't drive far without awful consequences), but on a crash day this week as I lay in bed feeling the worst of the flu symptoms and weakness I thought to myself,  "this is just not worth it to me.  I don't want to be laying in a strange space, feeling like shit, wishing I were home in bed".

It wasn't the physical that most worried me, it was the emotional fall-out from the physical crash.  Also, the idea of being amongst some of my favourite people, but laying in bed in another room too crashed to enjoy it. (This has happened so many times I've lost count).

You know, I would have thought that after being sick for 10 years, I'd be tougher.  But instead, I feel as I have less tolerance for suffering.  When I crash, I lay in bed, not wanting to move or breathe because the deep breaths hurt so much.  If feel as if I have so little patience left for this illness.

The first few years I was sick I pushed hard all the time to do these things - to remain the person I was.  I remember driving 20 hours (two 10hr days) after recovering from the flu no less, in order to see these same women off on their trans sub-arctic dog sled/ski expedition (the one I had helped plan and had so hoped to go on).

I remember being so sick the day after the drive that I fainted trying to get out of bed the next morning.  I remember sitting in the restaurant the night before they left on their journey shaking with fatigue and fever but "toughing" it out.

But I just can't seem to do that to myself any more.  I don't know why?  I am so different than I once was.  I am so different than an average healthy person let alone an active one. My life is so night and day from what I'd expected.  I live like a 90 year old. I have so little energy.  I have to plan out every little thing in order to avoid consequences.  But this is my life.  It's the one I've got, the one I have to navigate.

I would like to do something again.  For three falls I taught at the university a few hours a week and managed OK.  I loved feeling at least slightly useful.  I liked the social interaction and sharing a bit of my knowledge with young adults.  I found I gained energy from them.

Right now I'm mostly resting, mostly homebound.  I spend the days literally resting, and also surfing online, watching movies, reading.  I am doing some art again which in some ways I consider work.  Especially if I can occasionally create a piece I like enough to give as a gift.


p.s. I meant to post this last week, but hdk has a great post on her blog with a poem at the end about Joy and Sorrow, and how the one, is a necessary contrast, allowing us to feel the other.  Check it out: http://chronicfatiguechronichope.blogspot.ca/2012/09/peace.html

8 comments:

  1. Hi Upnorth, Thanks for putting up your block print. I loved them, expecially the bluer one. All the elements, rock, water, trees - so pristine and perfect. It's a great feeling to actually finish a project in our state of health. Cranky---me too !! Sometimes I'm able to load the dishwasher, everything has to go in the top tray. And my husband comes along and redistributes the dishes. I become so annoyed "When I manage to help a little in the house, don't come after me and fix up what I did. !!!! So many assumptions out the window with our illness. For example God only give us what we can handle ---- Nope !!
    What doesn't kill one makes them stronger ---Nope !! At least not for me. Living most of the time housebound is a strange life, my world is small, that's the word I used a lot. . This is a devastating illness, robbing us of what's so essential in life, friends and seeing family. Recently I noticed that CFS (no M.E. yet) is on my file at my primary care doc. Finally !!!--I want that acknowledged. You write so well. (have you ever thought of a book of woodcuts and short chapters ---I have a book or two like that). But most of all I wish for you to give the weekly class. I'd say I'll visualize it for you, but I don't believe in that much anymore either. Grouchy, yes !!! But when I see a deer run through the backyard for that split second it's sheer joy. With all your outdoors experience you feel the same, that's so clear from your art and blog-- so we're still in touch with the beauty outside our four walls. That part of our identity, love of nature remains. I really didn't realize that till I wrote this !!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. upnorth, i related to this post in many ways, especially personality changes, and those "toughong it out" during many years of my chronic history. i hated people think i was a lazy person, because in fact i was just the opposite way. but, eventually, even though i would still be disturbed a little by people's opinions, on my own side, i accepted my being "lazy", uneventful, monotone routine life, etc. i have not pushed myself doing anything that would make me crash for many years, such as parties, friends' invitation, even my mother's death over a year ago (in china. of course that's a little too far). well i still got crashed or relapse but the reason was barely due to those daily tasks, or over-exercise.

    however, i am doing better and better. i know my condition is very different from yours, but still like to share something with you. i would recommend the book "never be sick again" by Raymond Francise (i am not sure if i have already recommended to you). i would say this book helped me more than anything. even though i don't follow his diet program, but how he perceives the disease is absolutely revolutionary. he was a long time chronic patient and had death sentence by doctor, but he eventually cured by himself. he is a biologist, so his view on illness is not something just personal none professional experience. as matter of fact, my condition is very different from his, but it was after reading his book, i had firm belief that i would be cured, and found a way to go for.
    i read his book several years ago. i am about 80% of myself. it's a long way.

    well, i know we all have our own way to deal with situations. to say a book can change our life is almost too exaggerate. so, just in case you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just don't know what to say - i just ache for you - i really do - and know we all understand - love love heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Upnorth

    Thanks for being so candid about this illness and its effects. While CFS does take a huge toll physically, there is another part to it and I think you've described very, very well these parts of this illness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all so much for your supportive comments. It really helps to know I'm not alone with this and that others are out there "fighting the fight". At the same time it makes me sad that this is so common. I hope I didn't come across too depressed. I mean I am depressed about my life and enduring this monster, but at the same time, I'm in a much better place than say, last winter and spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also sometimes felt that my tolerance for bearing this illness is, if anything, lower - even taking into account the shock and grief on realising, after the first few years that it wasn't getting any better, wasn't going away. I have often spoken of feeling that I have "battle fatigue". How long can one keep soldiering on without a break?

    Good to read your blog, Upnorth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like my tolerance for it stopped after a year and a half and for a long time I felt like that made me weak. Why couldn't I just tough it out? I became this "pathetic" person in my mind. The horrible pain and exhaustion just weren't worth being social or going outside to make myself feel more fulfilled. And only recently my way of thinking has shifted a bit. I'm slowly realizing I'm not weak, I'm just accepting the situation (or trying REALLY really hard to!) Acceptance is not the same as giving up. Maybe it's just a bit naive of me, but giving our bodies a break and not pushing them to the extreme might just be the only way to have any hope of getting better? And it gets much easier to live like that after a few years, things feel a bit more "at peace" than a struggle (not to say there aren't hard moments often, but less so...). At least, that was my experience. I hope that will be yours as well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi UpNorth,

    I've commented on your blog a few times before as a fellow nature enthusiast...

    Like I've said, I've mostly recovered. I'm a full-time medical student and have been back to my old habits for a while - running, climbing, hiking. But for some reason I never forget about you and find myself coming back to your blog at least once a week. I think it's because I can feel your heart and know what it's like to have it ripped out like that.

    Next week I'm headed on the first longish backpacking trip I've been on since I got sick. 40 miles in the Colorado mountains over 3 days. I'm a little nervous about it but chose a route where I can cut the loop short if things don't go smoothly....

    I'll think about you out there. I know it's strange, because we haven't met or even talked directly, but I always send a little prayer out to the nature goddesses for you whenever I'm out there. Especially on top of mountains or deep in canyons or just in quiet places where the water is flowing and I'm feeling the feeling.

    I really hope you get back out there one day.

    ReplyDelete