It's really hard for me to slow myself down lately. I've had a couple weeks of feeling somewhat better. I seem to have only the occasional bad day here or there (usually a consequence of doing something physically active). I usually start to pick up in summer. I think it's all the vitamin D. Despite not attending the course this summer, somehow I already have a packed summer schedule.
For example, I leave this weekend to visit family in southern Ontario, then see my specialist. I'm really really looking forward to both. I stay with my Aunt when I'm down south which is a fairly good set up. It's quiet at her house most of the day so I can rest when needed. My parents live just down the street.
I'm in serious need of a visit to my specialist after a really rough winter/spring including some new symptoms this year. She's overworked and I have the last appointment of the day so I expect it might not be too productive an appointment. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high. I have a list of things to discuss with her (she likes to deal with only one issue an appointment which is hard when I only see her once or twice a year).
I'm posting a few photos for fun. One is of my flying dog!!!
I've also added the new poll of the month for July - for anyone to vote on.
As most of you with M.E. probably know, this was a big week for XMRV retrovirus research and buzz. I found the situation really depressing. The study (done by the FDA and NIH) that found a M.E./CFS link to the retrovirus and was reportedly already peer reviewed and accepted for publication got suppressed for the time being. Meanwhile the negative useless study done by the CDC (that didn't even use people with true M.E./CFS) was published.
See a description of the events here:
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100702/full/news.2010.332.html?s=news_rss
See the assessment (somewhat and appropriately scathing) of the CDC study by a CFS researcher and patient advocate here:
http://www.cfids.org/xmrv/070110study.asp
I can't help but think that as a patient community, we are karmically jinxed....I'm trying not to feel too depressed about the whole situation by distracting myself with life (reading I need to do, packing, small garden chores).
I may not post too much in the next few weeks.
OMG! You only get to see your Dr once or twice a year? That seems dreadful. I see mine every two weeks and I always take a list of thing sto discuss!!
ReplyDeleteRegarding the XMRV situation ... urgh! yes, depressing, but we should never get our hopes up in the first place ... things like this never go smoothly and I am sure it's going to take time before things really move forward in a significant way. Having said that, there has obviously been enormous progress in the last year and that we should be grateful for.
Lee Lee - great comments!
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe you only see your doctor twice a year either. But then, I see no doctor at all, sooooo.
I will miss reading your blog while you take this little break but I hope you enjoy your time away!
Well I have had to see a regular GP here where I live a couple times. They are always the same....they think I have something "real" like and autoimmune disease, run tons of tests (again) and then have nothing to offer when most stuff comes up normal. My M.E. specialist is wonderful but is a 17 hour drive away, hence only seeing her once or twice a year. But it's been really hard not to see her this year.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm getting a new GP up here, so maybe she will be able to help...who knows?
I don't usually get my hopes up either Leelee, but this time I did because back in Oct. it seemed like such a well researched study....I thought, finally, maybe this is it. Oh well, live and learn
Love the pictures you post and the great one of your flying dog!
ReplyDeletethanks Renee :)
ReplyDeleteOh, slowing down. How can we slow down when we have this fire inside of us that doesn't seem to want to be put out, no matter how many years we've been dealing with this issue?!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your trip and I hope you have a productive visit with your specialist!
Yes, the news that the new studies were suppressed is deeply disturbing. I agree.
ReplyDeleteI love, love, love the flower photo. It is a poem of a photo! You've a great eye.
Have a good trip :-)
You need to get your dog a cape!
ReplyDeletejenji