Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Art - Creative for a Second


I'm part of the Creative for a Second journal project. These journals (a total of 8 at this point) travel around the world to people with M.E., and when they reach someone, that person has two weeks to do something creative in the journal before passing it on.

I received journal #7 a week ago and it was a little intimidating because I was the first to receive this journal. Originally I was at the bottom of a list so a journal would have arrived full of art and inspiration. Luckily there's a facebook page where people have been posting their work so I didn't really feel like the first one to have to produce something. Some of the art and creativity I've seen posted by people in this project is so amazing! Which is awesome, but also intimidating.

So I decided to do a block print, which is my preferred medium when it comes to art . I'm in no way an artist, but I really love doing amateur printmaking (at least I say I do until I'm in the process and remember how much energy it takes and how many times I produce things I don't like - around 19 out of every 20 blocks I carve).

I'll post the two here that I put in the journal. I also did a creative free verse poem/drawing thing which I'll post here at some point. Photographed, the blue one looks OK, but on paper, the green one (which is my favourite of the two) has some really cool colour tones that just don't show up here. Anyways, It's not my best work. But it did capture a little of what I wanted to express about having M.E....I'll let you interpret it how you want.


4 comments:

  1. But I think you ARE an artist. These say so much about your experience of CFS/ME. Very powerful stuff. I had no idea you were arty as well! Amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful artwork. I agree with Jo -- you ARE an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi gail - it's (jodi's friend) jennifer from carbondale, co. just wanted to chime in and say that your block prints are fab. very expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments all :)

    ReplyDelete