I've had a relatively boring week. Health-wise I've been up and down with some decent days and some pretty poor ones. My throat is in a bad flare with mildly swollen glands and blisters. Probably a sign I'm pushing it a bit too hard.
I did have an introductory appointment with another new (ahhhh) GP this week. The GP I've had the last year and 1/2 (I think 4 appointments total) was OK. She wasn't especially versed on M.E./CFS, but she was open minded and humble. For example, she said to me once "There's just lots we don't know about the illness yet". She was a bit older and so I expect she'd seen people over the years with M.E. She also considered it to be a disabling chronic illness.
This new GP is fresh out of medical school and while she may be a nice person, she won't be a good Dr. for me. I'm going to try to stay away from her and go back to using my NP at that clinic as much as possible (if and when I absolutely have to see a Dr.). She said a few ignorant things about M.E./CFS which infuriated me. I'm not going to write them all here, but suffice it to say it was a disappointing appointment. But I have to remember her ignorance is not her fault necessarily. And on paper (test-wise) I look mostly healthy. In fact she said "beside chronic fatigue syndrome you're healthy". Yes, besides the fact that I've suffered flu symptoms and daily fatigue severe enough to disable me for almost 8 years I'm healthy!!!! Give me a break, who says something like that? Would she have said, "Besides the MS (or Cancer), you're healthy." ???? I highly doubt it. I'm going to stop there because I don't want to go down bitter venting street....I just need to let it go and stay away from her.
So my pole of the month (on the right) is for those of you have M.E./CFS. I'm interested in what your overall experience is with regular General Practitioners. If it's like mine it may be varied, but do your best to generalize.
Aaaaahhhhhhhh that really is infuriating! Aside from the fact that you are almost dead you are in perfect health!!! That's really helpful ....
ReplyDeleteI did vote, but wanted to let you know you are certainly not alone. When I went to see my GP last it was mentioned that "there certainly seems to be alot wrong with you, but it looks like you are seeing plenty of specialist to get things taken care of." Period - that was it. I couldn't help but try to translate that too: There must be something wrong with you mentally and I'm so glad I'm not the one that has to deal with you.
ReplyDeleteIn general I think GP's are not educated or interested in CFS/ME.
I have to deal with those kind of comments as well. Sometimes I think the right answer is to be open and honest about CFIDS but then other times I think wisdom is to be quiet.
ReplyDeleteI hate that I have to even think about what and when I should mention that I live with this illness.
You are right that this doctor would never say anything like that statement to a cancer patient!
Sometimes I wonder what is going on with the health care system worldwide.
I'm sorry you had to deal with this lack of understanding and compassion!
Hugs!
It's nice to know I'm not alone in these experiences and the frustration they cause. I mean many of us are ill enough to be disabled and yet we are treated so dismissively.
ReplyDeleteHow frustrating! Why do some people in the medical profession dismiss CFS so quickly?!
ReplyDelete