I don't think everyone with M.E./CFS suffers from a low White Blood Count (WBC) and Neutropenia. In fact, I've only come across a couple others with this issue. My specialist thinks I have some kind of ongoing underlying viral infection either as the cause or a result (added bonus) of having M.E./CFS. Viral infection is one reason people can have a low number of neutrophils.
I had my yearly physical today and I guess my blood work had shown a lower WBC and neutrophil count then usual putting me into the neutropenia zone. Often when I'm having a flare I get a mildly low WBC (for example, 4.0 is low normal - mine will often be 3.8. Low, but not too low to worry much about).
It's low enough this time that I have mild/mod. neutropenia. I was advised if I get an infection with a fever over 101 F, I should make sure I see a Dr. asap. Go to a walk-in or emergency. It also explains why I had some kind of stomach flu last week and why I've been feeling so beat and run down esp. in the afternoons lately.
I guess the new Dr. showed my Nurse Practitioner the paper work and asked her to phone or talk to me. My Nurse Practitioner who's seen me for five years now told her that this happens occasionally. The new Dr. (who I got the sense thought CFS wasn't a very serious issue and perhaps as much psychological as physiological - see previous post) hopefully got her first taste of how this is a real physical illness. Still, I informed my NP that I'd prefer to see her from now on rather than dealing with someone who's uneducated about M.E. (It just so happens she has a family member with M.E., so she knows about how devastating it can be.)
I also hope that your GP considers the change in your bloodwork a sign that ME can do damage to our bodies. Maybe for the next person at least. I agree that you should always see who you are more comfortable with and am glad that you do have the support of your NP.
ReplyDeleteBaby steps - remember that's how we turn around thinking - every little baby step has to help.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteMy WBC was down at 4.5 (not too low). I started taking virgin coconut oil for a few months, and I don't know if that's the cause but my WBC went up to 5.5. I think it helps your body create white blood cells and fight infection. Good luck with doctors and finding help.
D.
It does get tiring to deal with these inept doctors doesn't it? How anyone can think this illness is a cake walk just blows my mind.
ReplyDeleteI hope that there is a solution to this Neutropenia thing. That is actually a totally new term for me.
Yes Dawn,
ReplyDeleteI agree baby steps are the way changes in thinking often happen. It would just be nice after 8 years to NOT have to PROVE to a Dr. I'm sick. I feel like 8 years of being ill is penence enough but on top of it I have to face skeptical Drs. Oh well, like I said, I'm really lucky to have ended up with the NP that I did, so I'll stop whining and complaining :)
Dominique, I think Neutropenia is just a fancy way to say you don't have enough Neutrophils which are a type of white blood cell.
Anonymous, I haven't tryed the coconut oil, but it might be worth a shot if this keeps up, thanks
ReplyDelete