Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Saturday, June 26, 2010

a goal: wilderness camping

As those who follow my blog know, I used to be a wilderness guide. I really miss getting out in the woods. So I've had this goal the last few years to go wilderness camping. Last summer friends and I had a trip planned to some remote Islands in Lake Superior. My role was going to be to hang out at the campsite - and hopefully do some art and nature observation. After my course last summer my dog died and between the two events I didn't have it in me to make the trip.


I've accepted that I may be sick for the rest of my life. I do still have hope for treatment or recovery, but at the same time, I realize it may not happen. So I've been thinking more and more about how to do some of the things I love despite the illness. If I wait until I get better, they may never happen. Wilderness camping is one example. I need to find a very low energy way to do it, minimizing the logistics, and choosing a site that involves no travel (e.g. I don't need to paddle all day to get to it).

Since I'm not doing the PhD course this summer (postponed until next summer) I thought I might try to plan for a wilderness trip in August. Of course everything is tentative with M.E., but it's there in the back of my mind to do it. I'll keep you updated.

6 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea and I agree with you whole-heartedly. It really comes down to us doing what we love in a new way if possible.

    For some of us, it is learning to find new 'loves' to embrace and doing them in a new way.

    I miss being outdoors as well. Luckily, I live on the Arkansas river so I can see it out my windows, I can enjoy it from my deck, and on better days I can walk across the yard and take it all in.

    I hope you can find a way to do this. Keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that sounds wonderful! I miss the outdoors so much as well. My goal (granted, in whatever distant future that exists if I ever get better) is to go Alaska and hike around there. It's nice to think about, even if it'll never happen.

    It's always a cost-benefit analysis I feel with doing activities we enjoy. Benefit for the mind/soul, cost for the body. But I think we need to make sure to keep up our "souls" with things that won't be TOO damaging, every once and a while. Provides a kind of fortification for our morale!

    Anyway, keep us updated! I hope it works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to leave a comment to let you know I've changed my blog address. It is now: http://forgetfulgirlblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can find a way, it is important to still get to do some of the things we love, when possible. Sometimes we cannot predict how well we will cope with it or if it will be worth it (the cost/benefit analysis) but we have to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a surprise for you on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be able to figure out how to do what you love to in spite of ME is a wonderful triumph. Glad you are going to find a way to keep doing what you love. Your passion for nature fills your blog and your writing.

    I was an avid camper (out under the stars) when young. Being out in nature was my favorite thing to do. When our kids were little and I was first ill we did our best at tent camping. As I further progressed, we bought our first rv--a small trailer. It was built in 1965 and was too heavy for our ancient suburban to pull...we would drive at about 10 miles an hour, but we'd get to the mountains. When that trailer died we invested in one that would hold our growing kids and continued to camp and make memories.

    I now need to camp where there are trailer hook-ups, due to my heat intolerance and need for air conditioning. We camp in the most "wildernessy" place we can find with hook-ups. Our next goal is to buy a generator for our trailer so that we can let go of the hook-ups and dispersion camp--take the trailer (and air conditioning) as far as we can into nature.

    Here's to you finding new ways to continue your passion for nature and spending time deep in the wilderness. I look forward to read about your trip...the planning, the camping and the ways you are finding to do it in spite of ME.

    ReplyDelete