Sleeping problems are rife in M.E./CFS. I've been lucky, I' haven't had too many problems with my sleep. I go to bed at night, read for 1/2hr to an hour, and then fall asleep. I wake up still ill and tired, but mornings are my highest energy time of the day.
The exception to this is during PMS (sorry men), I always seem to have a few days of insomnia. It reminds me how lucky I am not to have constant issues with insomnia.
I did do a sleep study early on in the illness, and they found very low-quality sleep. Of the 4 stages, stage 3 and 4 sleep are the deepest, most restorative. At least on the night of the study, I had almost no restorative sleep and more than 70 'awakenings' during the night (most of these I was unconscious of).
As I've been lying awake for hours the last few nights (PMS), my head has been swirling with dark thoughts. Thoughts about the uselessness of my life, my lack of friends, the issues with my family of birth, all the things I haven't experienced or lost due to illness (regrets), how stupid and pointless my PhD work is, and finally, ridiculously, I keep reliving the the death of my last dog, Merlin. While these thoughts are not useful or welcome, they seem to arise nonetheless as I lie there tired but awake.
Of course I use techniques to try to keep them at bay. I choose something happy, something I like and try to focus on that. I try to block them out by counting breaths, using relaxation techniques. Funny, but when I wake up the next morning I wonder how my world could have felt so bleak the night before, my concerns seem so trite in the light of day. It's strange, but none of my concerns/regrets become untrue the next morning, they just seem to loose their power to torture me.
My PhD work, while leading me to feeling depressed and bleak at night, has me feeling productive and interested when I put in my session each morning. I lay my big-picture concerns about the futility of my life and PhD aside, and focus on a specific task: editing a paragraph, reading an article or a book chapter, doing a data base search on some related topic. Once I am engrossed in a task, I enjoy the break (a break from myself to be honest).
And while I am managing between one and two hours of work each morning in bed (imagine me surrounded by books, papers, pens and highlighters, propped up with pillows, my laptop on my lap), I'm noticing no ill-health repercussions. That is, except the repercussions I expected…specifically, this energy I put towards PhD can no longer be put towards various other activities. For example, I'm spending less time online, less time reading, and most sadly, no time at all doing art.
Today is a gorgeous day and I want so much to do a short outing outdoors, but I'm completely fried.
Those thoughts are awful, aren't they? I'm sorry you struggle with them, I know they attack me when I'm most exhausted, especially at night. PMS can be really, really sucky that way. I used to have panic attacks and meltdowns every month until I went on the pill, I truly credit my sanity to it! Ponstan can also help reduce the severity of periods if you start taking it a day before your period is due,
ReplyDeleteI'll look into that Siobhan, thanks for the suggestion. PMS is just harsh sometimes and it really makes the M.E. worse for me too.
DeleteThose middle of the night thoughts are the worst....Ugh. Great to hear you are doing so well with your Ph-D studies though.....I bet you do miss your art...it is so beautiful for all of us to see too..
ReplyDeleteHopefully I can get back to the art eventually, Renee….for now, though, I guess the writing/researching is taking top spot.
Deletehappy new year upnorth!
ReplyDeletewell, dark thoughts always come with poor health, in my opinion, especially chronic condition.
years ago i had so much mental struggling with my career and my relationship/friendships, or my literally everything. then suddenly, i realized, all of these, were due to my poor health. the feeling of inadequate might be the root of all negative feeling. so i made my mind: nothing will be put before my health care. if i have health, i will have EVERYTHING back. that's what i have been doing. and i am reaching my goal.
glad you are doing well with your PhD project. hope you have more good days in the new year!
I agree Yun Yi, I think poor health has a lot to do with it. Although I expect every one has regrets and sadness of some kind. I hope you are able to return to full health. I also hope you (and me too :) )can find joy along the way to better health despite the health struggles.
Delete