Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What Keeps you Going?

What keeps you going? Especially when your life is restricted by illness, I think this is an important question to ask.  Someone recently asked it in my online support group, at least they asked "what feeds you"?

This question is about coping.  Despite being ill (or even if we are not ill) we need to find things in our lives that feed us.  If you have M.E., you know that whether or not it is something you LOVE to do, many activities will often have repercussions.  (In fact, I just read ANOTHER research study that shows if people with M.E. are active, 48 hours later, major dysfunctions can be found.)  This is especially frustrating.  For me, 11 1/2 years after becoming ill, I still get angry when I crash from doing some small thing I love (for example visiting on the phone with a friend, doing a little gardening, or art).

Despite the frustrations of a bodily reaction to activity, I believe it is so important to feed ourselves in some way.  So my question, what keeps you going?

Here are some things that feed me:

  • Being out in nature, even urban nature.  The other day it was seeing the early morning sun through the branches of an autumn birch tree (see photo), or lying in the hammock and watching the ravens circle and play above.
  • Creating art.  (If I'm having a bad day, it's more of a frustration than a feeder)
  • Reading through cookbooks and looking at recipes
  • Watching my garden grow, checking on my plants throughout the summer
  • Chatting online with friends (much less energy than phone conversations)
  • Staying in touch with friends esp. if it's low key
  • Eating dark chocolate
  • Soaking in the Bath
  • A good Book
  • My favourite shows: Like Big Bang Theory, Grey's Anatomy, Bones, Modern Family, Simpsons
  • Sitting by the water, especially lake Superior
  • Hanging out with my Dog

What's on your list?




As for my life right now, I am fighting a nasty cold.  It took me three days to distinguish it from M.E. because the symptoms are SO similar: Low grade fever, sore throat, body ache, virally fatigue, chest/breathing ache (all M.E. or cold) but when the congestion set in, I knew it was a cold.  On top of it all, I'm travelling home tomorrow and nervous about the repercussions.  Although, I don't want to postpone because I am ready to be home in my own bed.  I also feel a possible ear infection coming on and may need a prescription.

4 comments:

  1. This is what can be so frustrating. You wake up in the morning and plan your day to do something nice despite not feeling up to it. You push yourself, do an activity (whatever that may be) and then have to suffer the aftermath of consequences ie: severe tiredness, ongoing pain, excessive exhaustion, pill after pill and much more depending on your illness, and this can last for hours if not days. Sometimes it can feel bitter-sweet. Sweet because you enjoyed doing something and bitter because of the price you have to pay.

    Sometimes it's just good to hear a friends voice, or have a nice meal cooked for you. Maybe watch a couple of films back to back until you fall asleep or listen to some great music that brings back the memories of the good old days.

    The autumn weather is changing round here, and colds and flu's are on the rise. Hope you get over this cold soon and get back safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed so frustrating when we crashed, which is way too often and long-lasting. While crash happens I found it is almost impossible to keep myself good spirit, all negative thinking would come back. However, despite of those MOMENTS, I consider myself an extremely positive person.
    I recently cut off walking totally, and found it extremely helpful.

    What's on my list? I don't do list usually, instead I follow my "feeling", or guts. I am more a writer than artist (though I write much more in Chinese), but these days I indulge myself in reading some mystery fictions. I love to do that because it combines having fun and learning English:-)

    Autumn (also my favorite) is almost here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basically all of your list is my list too, I love being surrounded by nature, I find it relaxing and after spending lots of time in bed and indoors the breaths of fresh air feel great! On better days when I have more energy I like to get creative and make things (Pinterest is great for ideas even if slightly addictive!) On bad days nothing beats a hot bath and a good film :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Upnorth, When I'm laying down and that's a lot of the time as most of us I have to say that satellite radio, SiriusXM , keeps me going. I really don't know how I could stand the hours without it, I can only hold up my Kindle so long. Sirius gets me thru with all their choices:every kind of music, audio books, and tons of talk shows, self help and also an entire channel devoted to medicine, every speciality you could think of from NYU Langone hospital. Garden programs, I especially love, Martha's cooking. On and On. Oh, and I finished Snow Child ------so good----thanks for the recommendation. I was hesitant as I don't read much in the Magico-reality genre (but did read Toni Morrison's Beloved also the same genre). I splurged and heard it on audio, am thinking of subscribing to an audio bookservice. I couldn't put it down. Well, sure hope you are home safe and sound and that the ear infection didn't develop. From Leah

    ReplyDelete