Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, September 23, 2013

The two things NOT to say to someone with chronic illness.

What does it mean to soldier on?  Soldier on despite daily incapacitating fatigue, weakness, and fluiness/malaise.  Soldier on despite a constant battle (it seems) with some kind of infection.  I am doing my best.  My best isn't always that great.

First, it took 9 days of being crashed from my travel to see family to get a day that wasn't complete S*&^%^T.  I had two OK days, and then I was right back to feeling terrible.  Also, I have been fighting an infection that I decided to call yeast because I was too sick to get myself to a clinic to have someone look at it.  It would have taken a week to get a scheduled appointment, and walk-in clinics typically mean 2 hrs or more sitting up waiting (not to mention getting myself there).  Ironically, I was too sick to get help.  I had a prescription yeast drug on file and thankfully, at least, the drugstore delivers for free!  My infection seems to have cleared some, but is not completely gone.

I had planned to travel again this month to go to a wedding and visit friends.  The travel is less strenuous (no plane travel involved).  Still, I had all but decided to cancel until I had my two OK days.  Now I am feeling it might not be the best idea, but I still might go through with it.  Hopefully I manage OK.  It won't be easy, but I feel as if I've been living mostly in a lonely cave, and it will be nice to connect with old friends and change my space.  It also means seeing the Lake! I can't wait.

If you continue to read this post you will read a rant.....it's what I want to say to all the well meaning people who tell me these two things OFTEN....yes, I have heard them both this week more than once.

THE TWO THINGS I MOST HATE TO HEAR WHEN I RALLY AND MAKE IT OUT IN THE WORLD:

I am also rallying myself for the things I will hear if I make it to this wedding.  My absolute least favourite: "You look great" or  "You look great, you must be doing well (or better)".

First of all, looks can be deceiving people!!! I read a statistic recently that 95% of chronic illnesses are invisible.  This means you cannot tell by looking at someone how they are doing.  If you know they are ill and are interested in how they are doing, ask, but don't tell them "you look great". What the person hears (and this is not just me, I've heard this from many many others with chronic illness) is: "you look great, it can't really be that bad" or "you look great, you must be exaggerating at some level".....so just don't say it!!! Please!!!!  If you are not interested in hearing how they are doing or about their experience with illness, fine, then don't ask.  But when you tell someone who is ill and disabled and may have used every bit of their will power and strength to get out at all, and may be recovering for days or even weeks as punishment for getting out that "you look great" what are they supposed to say?  I find it difficult because if I were to respond to "you look great" with "I've actually just had a horrible 6 month relapse" or "I'm finding it hard to just stand here looking at you my legs are so weak and I am so dizzy" I feel as if I am contradicting the person's outward assessment of me.  Also, to share that I'm not feeling great makes me into a 'complainer', to contradict them when I obviously look so well.....So I've learnt to cringe and say "thank you"....what else can I say?  They obviously aren't really interested in how I am or they'd ask how I am rather than making a statement about my outward appearance. Am I supposed to be happy that despite being ill and disabled, I look fine?

Second worst thing to hear: "Oh I get that too".   If I do open up and share a symptom that I am finding hard to deal with, like lets say dizziness, I very often, 7 times out of 10 get the response "Oh, I get that too".  What do I hear when someone says "I get that too"?  I hear: "I get sore throats all the time too, but I soldier on and work anyways" or "I get dizzy when I stand too, but look at how much I still manage to do, I'm not laying around all day moping".

If I am talking to another person who is generally well and coping with life (lets say they work, socialize, manage a household, have hobbies) I know for a fact "THEY DO NOT GET THAT TOO!!!".  Seriously, do you think you are commiserating with me?  I realize other people who are mostly well also get sick and deal with symptoms....I really do understand this.  And despite the fact I'm always sick, I feel empathy and I know it sucks to be ill  esp. if you have a busy fulfilling life.  But if you had what I had, or were experiencing what I were, you would be disabled.  You are not walking around managing because you are tougher or better than me OK!!!???

Chronic illness is not discriminating.  You can become disabled whether you are a teacher, a surgeon, a store clerk, a mother or father, a man or a woman, a child or an adult, a couch potato or the greatest athlete on earth.  People of weak character and strong character get chronic disabling illnesses!  And while I suspect (actually know) that I am not as mentally tough as some of the people who say these things to me, I know, had they been hit with this disease, they too would be disabled.  They too would be disabled because it's DISABLING....I am not disabled  because I'm weak or can't deal with symptoms (symptoms that evidently you get too).....but because I have an illness with symptoms that are disabling!!!

I don't even mind hearing about a 'well' friends symptoms or recent bought of flu, but not as a response to my sharing.  If I share that something is especially hard or disabling for me and you are obviously not struggling or disabled I highly doubt "you get that too" at least not to the same degree.  "Oh I get that too" is just a dismissal, any way you look at it.


OK, so my rant is over for now.  If you don't have M.E. or another disabling illness, maybe you feel enlightened.  And I don't hate the people who tell me these things either, just to make that clear.  Often, they are some of my favourite people, my family and best friends (which makes them harder to hear).  I know chronic illness is awkward and embarrassing and you don't want to say the wrong thing.  I feel the same, for example, when I hear about a cancer diagnosis.  What do you say that is helpful? Encouraging?  but not degrading.

My one piece of advice if I could throw it out into the world and have everyone hear is, first, if you are truly interested, ask how someone is, don't tell them how they look.  And if you don't want to know, or are uncomfortable, don't ask.  It's not always fun to talk about anyways.  For me at least, when I get out, it's nice to not have to think about myself or my body or my illness.  I like talking about life outside illness and other people and common interests.  I so rarely get out that when I do, I often want an escape from the daily dredge, not to talk about it.

Second, don't judge.  It could have been you who got sick.  That person with chronic illness isn't sick because they ate the wrong things or didn't exercise or were stressed out too much....illness is NOT a character flaw.  Maybe you are not ill, but it's not because you are a better person, it's mostly because you got lucky:  lucky genetics, lucky environment, maybe you dodged an infectious insult, but it's not because you threw salt over your left shoulder everyday or went for a run three times a week or meditated or ate more vegetables.  This is really scary isn't it?  I think this is why so many people subliminally or outwardly blame the sick person for being sick.  If sickie is sick because they did XYZ wrong, then I'm well because I did XYZ right.  It makes me feel in control of uncontrollable events and circumstances.

Oh and just for fun, if I do make it to the wedding I'm going to keep a tally and I'll report here how many times I hear "you look great" or "you look great you must be doing better" at the event.  Sound fun?  And it will make me giggle instead of cringe when I say "oh I do?, thanks".

And despite the fact that I will hear these things if I make it, I'm sure it won't ruin my experience. It will be so great to see old friends and watch two wonderful people tie the knot.

If you are ill, what are your top 2 least favourite things to hear?

Here's a great article about this topic: http://www.diversityinc.com/diversity-and-inclusion/but-you-look-so-good-and-7-other-things-not-to-say-to-a-person-with-a-non-visible-disability/

21 comments:

  1. Ha ha --- I LOVE your plan to keep a tally so you can get a giggle out of it instead of cringing. Putting a positive spin (as positive as possible at least) is the only way to go. But, sigh....do I hear you on this topic.

    My two least favourite things to hear would be 1) "Oh, I get tired too. That's part of life, you just have to learn to deal with it" and 2) "You're lucky you get to lay around, sleep and relax all day....wish I could do that too" sigh.....

    Hope you have a good time at the wedding and make it through ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my "At HOme on the ROck", "Must be nice" is my other LEAST favourite. I get that one a lot too. So frustrating. Have you ever been cheek and just said "Really, do you wish you felt really ill all day every day and had no strength do do anything but lay in bed?"

    By the way I feel like I've 'known" you long enough, my name is Gail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha, I should try that some time. Nice to meet you, Gail :) I am Linda :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh...good rant! And on a topic we can all relate to :)

    I try really hard not to get upset when people say these things - as long as they are well-meaning people who care about me. I think most of them don;t know WHAT to say so they say that inane stuff. Who knows? Maybe they are even mentally kicking themselves for blurting out something like that.

    My mom was here this weekend and argued with me over whether or not I could handle her new yoga class - that was annoying!

    What I hate most about being out is just feeling so isolated in a crowd of people - you know, like when everyone is talking about normal life stuff and you just can't relate to any of it - traveling, exercise, social events, etc. Sometimes it seems like I am left out of all topics! And I know I am "high-functioning" - whatever that means when you spend over half of your life lying down!

    I am so sorry you've had a rough period - it can take a while to get over those family visits. I hope your self-diagnosis and treatment help and you are feeling well enough to go to the wedding!

    Sue

    Live with CFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I agree, I think most these people are well meaning, in fact I KNOW they are, although I do feel the "judgement" sometimes nonetheless. Thanks re: wedding, I'm super hopeful. Unfortunatley can't even stand today, but still HOPEFUL!!! And you thing about feeling "alone" when you are out, yes, I do know what you mean too. I think it's why I call my old friends less and less, what do I say? I've been laying in bed mostly for the last year again.....it helps if I just focus on them and what they are doing....because I do care about that, and live vicariously a little bit.

      Delete
  4. Ooops - forgot to click the Notify Me button...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this entry...just so you know I linked it to my newest post which is also now posted on a FB page...Chronic Fatigue Chronic Hope...xo xo H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good and a MUST rant for chronic ill patients!
    For me, the two least favorites thing to hear are pretty much the same. Once I had to hang up phone with a friend who told me that "I sound fine".
    Another thing I would very uncomfortable to hear is: "don't say you are sick. You are fine." or, "don't think you are sick. just don't think about it, you will be able to get rid of it." Also, there are some church people believe the reason I got so sick is that I did not go to church. All in all, they just try to convince us, we are weak people. I am so sick of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting, I kind of agree and disagree, so I hope you're not offended by my leaving this comment.

    I would take it as a compliment if someone said I looked great especially if they didn't know just how seriously ill I really was. And even if they did, they might not actually be trying to say I must be feeling much better now. But it's highly possibly they might be simply saying that you've made a great effort to come out today and you DO look good dressed up all nicely despite not feeling good (hope I've explained my point ok).

    Saying all that. There are people who have absolutely no understanding of your illness and whatever you say, they will hijack the conversation to tell you about their symptoms which they deem are similar to yours. And because they can cope well with their similar illness, they think you should be able to do that too. They just don't understand or never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rum-Punch, I'm assuming you are quite ill yourself then? Of course you are welcome to your oppinion, although it differs from most others I've heard with disabling chronic illness. In fact this is the one that I hear hurts people the most over and over. I'm not sure if you read the article I posted at the end, it is a very very common frustration for those living with these illnesses and I applaud your hard shell if it doesn't bother you. You are lucky! Good for you. I think if someone wanted to actually comment on how I looked, rather than "you are looking so great, you must be fine" they could just say something that is more aimed toward my looks specifically like "you look really nice" or "I really like your outfit", or "you clean up good". But of course we are all have our triggers I guess.

      Delete
    2. Upnorth. Not sure if my comment came across in the way it was intended.

      I specifically did not say 'you must be fine' or words to that effect (2nd paragraph of my comment).

      I said the words 'look great' and you were happy with the words 'look really nice' but isn't that more or less the same thing? And then I said 'do look good dressed up all nicely' which is also similar to you saying 'you really look nice or you clean up good'.

      My last paragraph was from personal experience although I chose to not give details, and I was trying to explain that some people don't understand etc. I'm not sure how this makes me have a hard shell and puts me into a category of not bothering. My apologies.

      Delete
    3. Rum-Punch, no need to appologize. for some reason "you look great" still bothers me, but I know we are all different. It's not that I don't get your point, maybe its just that I hear it so often and the way it is said always feels so much like "you must be fine, it must not be that bad, well you don't actually look sick"....I just wish people could find something better to say, esp. those who know I'm infact very ill and struggling. "good to see you?" could work. Why is it always on my appearace. It's not like I'm a super model and while I lost A LOT of weight when I first got ill, it's because of the disease. Anyways, we are getting down to the nitty gritty here. And I wasn't trying to offend you with my "tough shell", infact if it doesn't bother you I really am sincere in saying that is probably a GOOD thing. As for health stuff, no need to disclose here, it's why my blog is written under an alius and why no one in my family knows or reads it (and few of my friends). It's nice to have a place to feel free to spout. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
    4. Oh and as for your comment about 'highjacking' the conversation, yes, exactly. I have found that people often, if it hasn't happened to them, refuse to try to understand or believe. A good example is the comment that someone wrote here that annoys them "must be nice to lay around all day". It completely misses the point. What the person is actually saying (I believe) is "I'm really tired and could use a day to lay around and rest" it actually has nothing to do with the sick person they are talking to.

      Delete
  8. Oh, how could I have forgotten the absolute worst things that people say (I heard this more when I first got sick than I do now):

    "God doesn't give us more than we can handle."
    "Everything has a reason."

    and other things along the same lines - that's the stuff that really drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobody wants to accept their vulnerability, their mortality. People think they can live forever, stay young forever, if they do all the 'right' things. Your condition represents what they fear most-not being in control, the chance element in life. So it's no wonder they do everything to deny or at least avoid what you're experiencing. The reality of it is too frightening for them to face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. np, you nailed it! and consider how physically healthy you are!

      Delete
    2. I think you are very right 'nothingprofound', infact if I were wearing their shoes I'm pretty sure I'd be looking at the sick person thinking 'I wouldn't get that, because I do XYZ'. Of course I've learnt it is not that simple....the hard way. At least I've learned some true empathy (not the verbal kind, the kind where you really are empathetic). Because of what I've been through I try very hard not to 'judge' what I don't fully understand.

      Delete
  10. HI Upnorth, In a few days I'll respond to your rant post, loved it !!!! But first I just must thankyou for the book list from the last post. So very nice of you to give me a list of what you've liked recently. I love anything Alaska, always wanted to go there (doubt I'll be doing that !!) and watch anything Alaska on TV. So I'll be reading Snow Child for sure. Meanwhile I'll ditto Sue Jackson's "everything has a reason." That's similar to the new age idea that one creates their reality, like there is some grand psychological reason that we have M.E. Reading meaning into everything - drives me up a wall. Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you enjoy it Leah (the book). Ah, yes, the "if you truely believe you'll get well, you will" another fun way to put the blame back on the person who's ill. Or that being ill is some kind of learning experience from the universe (not that I don't think we can't learn things).

      Delete
  11. I think you've already named them for me, Upnorth. I don't mind the "you look great" so much as the "you look well - because the former might just be referring to the clothes I'm wearing or just saying that I happen to be looking pretty that day. But the "you look well" is a whole parcel of things which leave you feeling like a mashed potato whether you respond or not.

    "I get that too"? Yes. I get that too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the "you look well" is much worse, but both really bother me I think just because I read into the "you look great" esp. when i'm feeling awful and have made a huge effort to get out. In fact, the other day I'd been in bed a few days and a friend came to the door. I dragged myself out of bed, feeling like death and rallied to say hello. FIrst thing out of her mouth "Oh, you look great". I know this was well intended, but wanted to punch her in the face (I really like this person). Sigh, I wish at least all my aquaintences (which are few due to being mostly homebound) could read this post. sigh. Thanks for commenting 'reading the signs'. Fyi I love reading your blog even though I am a poor commenter most the time. You are a good writer, for sure!

      Delete