Well I 'survived' vacation. It was wonderful. And I did WAY WAY more than I usually do. I had some 'deconditioning' issues, I pulled muscles both in my lower back and both quads (thighs)....but it could have been worse....they are healing up already. And what did I expect going from mostly home bound/laying down most the day for a year to being active (in sickie terms) for 7 days!
Not that there wasn't an awful lot of laying around, there sure was. I did my (hopefully annual) laying on various surfaces such as cobble beaches and sand beaches and big granite slabs of rocks. I saw loons and eagles and sand pipers and heard and saw lots of birds I couldn't identify.
I journaled and read (2 1/2 books) and drew and took photos and lay in the tent an awful lot listening to the waves lap on the beach and rocks and the wind in the trees and a few times the rain patter on the tent (but mostly it was sunny or just cloudy). I also spent an entire day laying on the beach feeding a small fire and looking out over the expanse of Lake Superior.
And I canoed some which is very ambitious given how ill I am/have been. And I felt less ill camping this time than I did when I went last year, despite the fact that prior to camping this year I was sicker/iller than last year? Which is so hard to figure out. How am I supposed to make sense of this body when the rules are always changing? Often, going on a 1/2 hour errand can crash me sometimes for two or three days, then how did I manage a week of camping including some canoeing without a major crash (yet)?
Does this mean I should push myself more at home? Try part-time work even? Or does it just mean I had a decent week and got lucky? Pushing myself in most cases has led to crashes and relapses....although, I'm thinking I need to wait a few more days before believing I really got away with this. It's not that I don't feel sick and tired, just no worse than before I went.
The OI was pretty bad and I almost passed out more than a few times...which would have been a bit scary all alone. Although, all the times I have passed out/fainted in the past I have been alone at home anyways.
So I guess 'pulling off' this vacation means I really am (at least for now) back into the mild moderate M.E./CFS zone or even the severe end of mild? having been more severe moderate on the scale for the last couple years....which is great.
Explanation: I consider severe M.E. to be completely bed-bound and often in a darkened room, sometimes in a care facility (when I saw an M.E. specialist for years, this was the situation for her severely affected patients). I see moderate as disabled, unable to work and anywhere from often bed-bound, to being able to do some short outings now and again. Mildly affected are those who are still clearly sick, but can work or attend school full or part-time and are able to do most ADL (activities of daily living) which include self care such as bathing, shopping, laundry etc.
As for the vacation, I have a tan and 'look' healthy, and I met some new very nice people and reacquainted with a family I used to know which is huge given how isolated and alone I am much of the time due to being homebound and too sick to socialize.
| canoeing down the river |
| sunset over the lake |
| a day on the beach by the fire |
| enjoying a fire |
| I layed on this rock for a day and 1/2 (beside the cabin) |
| friend's cabin |
I spent some of the time 'camped' at one of these family's cabins....which was remote and absolutely gorgeous. I also had rides/drives both ways and I didn't actually have to carry any gear to or from a vehicle. I did have to set up my tent of course and cook my meals (or eat snacks) and that type of thing. Also, the few nights I spent 'out' I had to pack and unpack my bags which is why I say I was so much more active than I normally am in a day.
So far my conclusion is that it was a great and nourishing vacation.
This is wonderful! I am glad you had good time!
ReplyDeleteThe photos are stunning. Lake Superior is so beautiful. Comparing with it, the lakes we have here seems too "plain". It must be wonderful to stay with nature so closely.
Strange thing is, I believe my condition is better than yours, but camping like this is out of question to me. This is because diet and rest are so important and if I could not get them done right, I face major trouble. Guess this tells our chronic conditions are very different.
Nonetheless, your vacation inspires me to do something like that by my own in near future. I probably think to rent a cabin instead of setting up a tent. But if I do so, I will have to prepare foods very well.
Thanks for sharing!
If you can manage it Yun Yi, you should....something so rejuvinating about getting out to nature. I think a cabin might be perfect.
DeleteWonderful wonderful news!
ReplyDeleteThanks Renee, I hope you are enjoying your summer too. I think of you sometimes and hope you are doing alright.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHi Upnorth, I was so excited when seeing your vacation post. You did it !! Not that I'd recommend going out and working part time now, but isn't the natural world a wonder, you were lifted beyond what you manage at home. Thanks for the photos, I expecially loved the one where the fire fills the photo and it's transparent, so very neat. I have a feeling that three hours laying down on that vacation was equal to five at home. Nature tends to declutter my mind sometimes. Our house has kind of an enclosed porch and now I'm wondering what it would be like to sleep out there hearing the birds. Your vacation inspires one. From Leah
ReplyDeleteAwww thanks Leah, yes sleeping on a porch might be nice. I've often thought of sleeping outside here, but being in the city it is fairly noisy. I think nature has a healing power for sure. I also wonder not only about the benefits of fresh air and sunlight on my skin, but also being away from the noises and think about all the electrical 'noise' and waves from internet etc. I mean I don't really think that stuff makes us sick, but I do wonder if it has some kind of impact? I felt so surrounded by 'life' out there away from all the distractions of my life here.
DeleteI am so so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your vacation. I hope this progress continues. Great photos too especially the first one! cute!
ReplyDeletex Hayley-Eszti
www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.co.uk
So glad you were able to enjoy your vacation! Love the photos.
ReplyDelete