I've had a better week....really! It's almost like a miracle. I can't remember when the last time was where I had a week this decent. But I feel nervous to write about it because it might mean I wake up tomorrow crashed. I don't want to jinx it. I guess I'm superstitious...but also experienced that this illness is a roller coaster any which way you look at it.
I have still been feeling ill most afternoons, but decent mornings and a few very short walks and outings without crashing or getting worse....it's amazing how just a small amount of change can so improve my quality of life. Plus, the feeling of heavy/chest/fluiness has been less poignant. For so long I feel like I've been muddling through constant, never-ending heavy feelings of sickness....it's so nice to have it lift a little.
Honestly, I can't pinpoint exactly why this week has been decent and I probably shouldn't even try....more vitamin D accumulating in my system (although I take large amounts all winter)? Going a whole week without a new infection?
I have my PhD defense coming up in early July (it's like a mid-program defense, not the final one). I also have my brother and his family visiting the week before the defense....good timing eh? I was panicked because I figured I would barely be able to see them while they were here I'd been so sick and unable to do much more than lay in bed most of May and June.
Now I'm feeling much more hopeful about the visit. Especially since I already wrote and told them I might not be up for much at all. Now anything I can do will be a bonus. And they won't be staying with me which is sad, but also good in that it will take much less energy on my part.
As for the defense, it is mostly ready to go. I've been working just over an hour each day preparing my 15 min presentation and reading through the binder (from which they will ask me questions). I figure even if I'm having a bad day, I'll make it through the 60-90 min....unless I get the dizzies in which case I'd have to cancel, but I've got my fingers crossed.
How wonderful to read your most recent email and I was just about going to respond to your previous one and now at last you are having a really good stretch. What great news, I'm so happy for you. I hope you can do that 60-90 min.presentation sitting down ! This illness is such a mystery, but something has fallen into place in your life right now. Course I know that someone healthy wouldn't understand what we
ReplyDeletecall progress, but I know where you are coming
from, like you I'm over 10 years into this.
Holding all good thoughts for you. From Leah
Fantastic news ... so glad to hear you're having a good stretch. I hope all goes well with the defense...will be thinking of you!
ReplyDeletewonderful news upnorth! and it is amazing that you still have been working on your phd project, and it is ready to go!
ReplyDeleteit is ironic that we don't always know what's cause our down and up. my recent relapse was pretty much unexpected, and i am still confused what caused it. most of all, i believe diet was a major reason, as i changed diet again, ate more meat and meat soup, my energy increased again. still, i did not know i would get sick like that (couldn't do my classes for over 3 weeks!).
good luck with your brother's family's visit and your phd defense.