Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, June 10, 2013

Another First

For the most part, I really enjoyed my parent's stay, but I was  disappointed with my health.  The day they wanted to celebrate my birthday I felt so terrible I wanted to curl up in a ball and die and had no patience for any social.  But I rallied for an hour over dinner (Thai takeout which was fantastic) and my Mom, who had also had a bad health day, made a gluten free chocolate cake (photo below) which was very yum.  I told her not to bother, but she did in the final hour and we've enjoyed a lot of cake since.



My energy has improved a little since my parents left - I'm assuming it's the increased alone time and decreased stimulation.  But since the last few days of their visit (more than a week now), I've been plagued by another round of abdominal pain.  I don't know if others with M.E. face this issue, but I am very hesitant to seek help for pain and/or sickness.  The reason is, in the early days of M.E. when I would feel especially sick and fluey, I would go in, be tested for everything under the sun, only to be told more than a few times that they could find nothing wrong outside of maybe swollen glands, "viral looking throat" or a mild fever.  Despite the fact that I felt as if I was dying!

This has led to me assuming every ache, pain, tremor, intestinal issue, blackout-inotherwords every symptom-is either M.E. and/or OI related.  If I do have something that feels new or different, I think I tough it out much longer than I would have prior to M.E.

However, this pain was starting to get worse so after more than a week, I finally went in to get it checked.  I chose a time I knew the walk-in wouldn't be busy.  I did not want to waste my precious energy sitting for hours at a walk in....what a stupid thing to crash from!  I also went to the one only a few blocks from here hoping to get the Dr. I liked.

To make a long story short, I have a bladder infection of all things?  They did a test (strip) off the bat because I reported abdominal pain.  The Dr. thinks my upper abdominal pain is something different, however and changed my prescription for GERD/ulcer medication I take on and off when it is feeling especially badly.

So within just over a month I have had a ear/sinus infection, my first (that I know of) yeast infection, and now my first bladder infection! Obviously my immune system is CRAP.  And to be honest, I am very nervous about taking another round of antibiotics due to my propensity for c. difficile.  But here it goes and hopefully I kick this one quickly and don't react to the antibiotic.

And thanks to anyone who got through my long whine session....

8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, belated of course.

    I am sorry to hear about your latest issues. I haven't had an infection (cold, flu or anything) since I have been sick 4.5 years ago. Best wishes on treating it, with no further complications.

    As for you doing better when you're alone, I'm with you here- talking is a big effort, so even though being alone can be lonely, I do much better when I am alone than when I have company, due to the extra stimulation, noise, and having to talk.

    Milo, out west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Milo, I have heard that from others, that they don't catch 'anything'

      I seem to go through cycles where I'm pretty 'normal' as far as catching stuff. Then I'll have a period like this where I catch everything.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Good grief.. Sometimes it seems endless! Glad you were able tobe with your parents though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Renee, in retrospect I'm still glad they visited, although once they left my energy did pick up a tad.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday upnorth! See, even a gathering with parents can be challenge! Rest and rest more!
    I am still in an unexpected relapse, for over two weeks already. But I hope it's near the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yun Yi, that is not good, I hope you pick up soon? Thinking of you as I lay here...hope you are feeling a bit better/ less crashed.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday from me too. That's a pretty cake. I sure hope all
    goes well on the antibiotic and that is works. So much has hit you all
    at once. So take care (as if we have any other choice !). Much as you
    loved your parents there, a week plus it a long time to balance socializing and couch time. Hope all is quiet now. from Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Leah, feeling a bit better with the rest since they left and now I have kicked the bladder infection. Now if I could only kick the M.E. (out the door permanently).

      Delete