But I ask, does awareness equal acceptance and respect? That's the hope right? I'm feeling a bit jaded and bitter today. I am not going to wave any flags today. It's hard enough getting through life being so sick, let alone dealing with the stigma from doctors and anyone I disclose to. (I don't want to hear again that I must be 'down' rather than ill, need to try harder, or that everyone gets tired...) For some reason, M.E. is treated more like a character flaw than an illness.
However, when I think of the young people world wide that may come down now, or in the far flung future with this illness, it breaks my heart. When will there be funding for research here in Canada? Or even Dr.s who are willing to treat these poor sick people?
So instead of harping about what hasn't been done, what isn't being done...lets get active.
Please sign this petition to the Canadian Minister of Health (anyone from any country can) and add a message about some REAL person you know with the illness. We deserve better.
Then watch this short talk by Dr. Bested (the specialist I've seen for 8 years) asking the Ontario government to do something.
And finally, thanks to everyone here who supports both me, and others with this illness. Really, it makes a huge difference.
Great post, upnorth!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Upnorth and so very true.
ReplyDeleteI did not realize she was your specialist. That's great to be under someone with her knowledge and understanding of ME.
I've signed the petition.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete