Is this beyond my abilities?
Yes and no.
I think I could manage it if I could just get out of bed (hahaha). I certainly have the knowledge to be out and safe on my own with 8 years as a year-round guide under my belt...although that was a long while ago now.
I've been crashed all week. I've had some OK hours here and there, but mostly I've just been laying in bed. If I have a decent moment, I do something small like: doing the dishes sitting on my stool, have a shower, check the gardens...
It really is a miserable existence not only because the fatigue is all-encompassing and overwhelming but I feel so terribly ill and fluey on top of it. The malaise, chest ache, and sore throat are at times unbearable. I'm always worse from about 1pm through 6pm where I lay in bed thinking - I really can't stand living like this for another single day.
I'm also struggling socially. I don't feel up to being around people (physically or mentally) and yet I'm never alone at home anymore - one of my housemates has been off work for four months now. For some reason on top of feeling physically bad, all of my interactions at home recently, end with me feeling really bad about myself as a person as well. I'm not blaming anyone here. I take complete responsibility for my emotions and behaviours, but I'm desperate for a long retreat AWAY.
I feel so trapped. Trapped in this sick body, trapped in this house, in this room, in this bed.
When it comes down to it, I'm in an awful funk. I think getting out in the woods would help and yet I can't "take a vacation" because I'm just too ill.
I went out (of the house) last Tues to help a classmate with some work and was so crashed that from Wed. - Friday I quite literally felt like I was dying.

I also went out Friday night to a wolf talk at a local park. Some friends drove. It was so nice to escape these four walls. The programme was at night and it ended with a wolf howl (to get the nearby pack to howl back). While the only howls returned were those of local campers, the stars were amazing. I hadn't seen stars like that for almost two years and sitting on the beach looking up was wonderful.
So now I have to pay for that 4 to 5 hour outing for how many days???? Sigh.
I wish I were more of a homebody, content to sit back and enjoy some simple low energy activities. I do love to read, and that really is a saving grace at times.
I believe I'm making myself sicker by pushing myself out of the house every time I can manage it. On the other hand, when I'm not pushing myself to get out, here at home I'm getting cabin fever and increased depression like you wouldn't believe.
So I'm going to continue to pack for my canoe trip and hope that either (a) it comes to fruition even if I pay the price for a year, or (b) keeps me distracted and dreaming in the mean time. For example, once again last night I was in bed looking at maps and canoe routes (smile).
"I believe I am making myself sicker by pushing myself out of the house every time I can manage it".....
ReplyDeleteI think there is truth is this statement, Gail, and yet it is understandable that you want to get out and away from your world that is so small right now.
I became a part of Bruce Campbells' program many years ago (CFS and FM Self Help)and have learned over the years that pushing and crashing and pushing and crashing is what made me worse. Eventually, I would crash longer and longer until I could not push anymore. Now, some may get away with it, but member of my support group have experienced the same thing.
It is just something to ponder.
Toni is one who understands having to be in bed alot and one of our online groups with Bruce Campbell has been talking about that this month...how to make your bed your sanctuary.
I am sorry it makes you feel so down...rightly so! Our mind and our heart are ready for so much more than our bodies can handle....
Wishing you better days! Soon~
Ah, canoe camping sounds absolutely wonderful! I completely understand how you've been feeling. I've been through time like that myself, and although I am relatively well right now, my son has been horribly crashed (especially this past week but also most of the summer). I was really looking forward to a weekend away to see my family, but we had to cancel.
ReplyDeleteI was determined to get him out of the house briefly, so on Sunday, we took a little drive to the top of a cliff overlooking a river about an hour away. He couldn't hike or anything, but it was just nice to have a change of scenery.
Is there any way you could get out but still rest for a few days? Like stay in a cabin or cottage - with all the comforts of home but AWAY and closer to the outdoors?
You are right - being outdoors is so rejuvenating emotionally. I did manage to get out to the local nature center with my closest friend on Saturday. We walked for about 45 minutes! I wore my HR monitor and stayed below my limit, but the length of the walk still resulted in a small crash the next morning. I feel so fortunate to be able to walk again. You will, too!!
This bad period will pass...hang in there and remember you are not alone!
Sue
You know upnorth, there is just no right way of doing this. Resting and Pacing are so necessary and yet we need the balance of rejuvenation which for you is the woods you love so much. Too bad you couldn't find a cabin and hang out there alone and do your resting and pacing.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry things are so bad for your right now. I totally get the funk thing. For sure.
I hope your body rebounds soon. Sending you hugs and love.
Upnorth~
ReplyDeleteI reread my comment and I sure hope it does not sound like I have the market on what you need to do~ Dominique is right, there is no one way of doing this...there are guidelines and the experiences of others, but only you can figure out what is best for you...the nearby cabin does sound like a good place to be close to nature and yet have some solitude...Whatever you come up with to cope with where you find yourself....I pray it brings you joy.
Keep dreaming....nothing wrong with a little route planning. I'm obsessed with reading route descriptions of climbs, myself...best anchors to build, etc.
ReplyDeleteRe canoe trip - have you thought about going on a river with a little bit of a current? Of course, you'd have to arrange for pickup, but it would be easier on your arms when you're moving with the river. (Not talking whitewater here, class I max).
Better to fantasize than be sad about it!
Anonymous, it's more lake country around here...there are rivers but most seem to be wilderness access (in other words no one could pick me up)....I'll keep looking though. I agree about the dreaming...better than being sad about it. I used to climb quite a lot. No big wall stuff. My favourite was multi pitch trad. I even guided a bit....I'm afraid backpacking and climbing would be way beyond me these days..I have trouble with even short walks.
ReplyDeleteRenee,
ReplyDeleteI hear you re: pacing...and I don't think I took it the wrong way at all - you didn't come accross as prescriptive. My Specialist (I think) would disgusted over my pushing and lack of pacing lately. It really is self destructive.
That being said, I don't think pacing is the answer either because I was pretty religious about it for 3 years and it was by no means a cure....I learnt lots through filling in the daily activity logs, though....and I'm sure I avoided at least some crashing. But I also think I avoided so many things I love that now I am feeling frustrated by all the lost years. I want to find a way to have some of those things in my life again....maybe it is just unrealistic. Putting my sleeping bag in it's stuff sack today entailed an hour in bed.
DOminique, thanks for your caring words...it is such a ballance...as I said to REnee I think I went too far one way for a while in fear of crashing. Even pacing I ended up in this long relapse. I wish one of us "had the answers" don't you?
ReplyDeleteSue, thanks for your words...I think a cabin could work, it's just they tend to be a bit pricey esp. this time of year (and it's not the same)...but I think it would give me the feeling of "being out" at least to a degree.
ReplyDeleteThose little outings even help right? Sound like you have some pretty nice spots even close to home.