Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, April 18, 2011

Quick update - specialist appointment

I just returned from seeing my specialist.
I have to travel to see her. While I was south, I stayed with my folks for a few days before my appointment (to rest) and afterwards (to recover) before flying home. Plus it gave me a chance to check-in and visit with my parents.

I saw my specialist last in December.
I had some bloodwork done at the end of Dec. as well. This was before my crash/relapse.

Mostly, my bloodwork was normal (which in some ways is quite frustrating considering how very sick I've been all winter).

However, a reactivated mono (epstein barr virus) infection was present as well as low globulin and a high globulin-albumin ratio. Not quite sure what that indicates but I was told to increase my protein intake significantly.

Also, my specialist gave me Valtrex (an antiviral) to take for a 3-6 month period which may help some with all my viral symptoms. I have tolerated low doses of valtrex in the past, so I hope it does help. Plus, I'm at a point where I just need to try SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

I'll blog again this week when I'm feeling a bit stronger. Lucky me, I also came down with a cold virus the first day of my trip which has me feeling extra exhausted.

Hope everyone is well.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the trip was both productive and fun with seeing family and all. I really hope that the antiviral will be helpful with the activated mono virus again. Sounds hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this works out for you. I expect the mono and the low protein were responsible for your being so ill. Look after yourself while you recover. Hope is on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope so too Renee and Jo.
    Fun to see family yes, but also pretty sick in bed the whole time.
    I was inspired about the promise (for some) of antivirals having watched lecture of Montoya.

    ReplyDelete