Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Illness and self-confidence

Yesterday I found out I won an award. It's a two year PhD research fellowship from the Canadian government organization SSHRC (which stands for the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada).

Of course I'm very happy. Honoured. Exited. Any way you look at it, it's a good thing.

In some ways it solves some of my issues. It's enough money to both pay tuition and live on. (Live on just, but most of us who have been scrounging and getting by on social assistance know how to live the frugal life).

I'm not sure if I will be removed from social assistance as a result, I have yet to make that call-but either way, I'm going to take the fellowship.

If I loose my social assistance and am still not well enough to make a living in 3 years, I'll just have to apply again. In the mean time, it will feel good not to be living off the government (although this is a government fellowship? hmmm).

And if I don't loose the social assistance, I'll be living above the poverty line!!!!!!

It also means I won't have to do a graduate assistantship this year. Although I've rarely had to work even near the 10 hrs a week required, the few hours I have worked will go towards PhD progress instead.

After getting the letter yesterday, phoning and emailing some people with the news, I realized I felt sick and needed to rest. Funny, getting a SSHRC didn't change the fact that I still have M.E and am sick.

In some ways I feel very undeserving of this award. Spending at least 70% of my day lying down, rarely leaving the house, feeling like I don't contribute much to society...it often makes me feel worthless.

Having spent a long winter mostly in bed, and for the most part house-bound, I find my self-confidence and self-worth is even lower than usual. Which makes it even harder to get my head around the fact that with all the amazing people I've met who are pursuing graduate studies, I'm given a fellowship???!!!! Like I said, it's hard to get my head around.

My plan: For the time being, continue with the PhD (instead of dropping out). However, I will continue to work only enough that I don't induce crashes. I will continue to work mostly at home and in bed.

I love that quotation, "the journey of a 1 000 miles begins with a single step". I will continue to take small, sometimes infinitesimal steps within the boundaries of the illness....and for now that's my plan.


HEALTH UPDATE: I'm tolerating the anti viral VALTREX well. Some minor headaches and digestive issues, but nothing unbearable. I'm up to 1 000 mg a day. I'll stay at this dose for the time being. However, I haven't seen much change in my viral symptoms. Sore throats, painful lymph glands, and low grade fevers continue, along with that feeling of illness and the chest-ache.

13 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news...congrats on your award....Sounds like an answer you have been searching for too. Hope the antiviral starts working soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is brilliant news!!!!! I REALLY am happy for you. You definitely deserve it!

    Can you do it all at your own pace? Is there any deadlines?

    Great news............ xx : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Renee. Fingers crossed on the antiviral.

    Treya, yes pretty much my own pace (I can take up to 7 years). I go for weeks even months without having to go to the U. at all.

    Most the courses have been online and as a person with a medical disability I can ask for extra time on assignments (which I have) as well as other accomodations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's great news! I had 3 years to do my course. Which is nowhere near a PHD course... I have until feb 2012. However, even at my snails pace. One month on, a few months off, etc, I still feel anxious about finishing on time. This has been making me feel quite stressed. I emailed them today and they said if I need one they will give me a six month extension. My dream is to finish it before Christmas, so I can start on my book afetr my whole wedding celebrations. I just have to try and stay mindful that I can't mess up my whole wedding with my over pushing nature when it comes to finishing my course. Easier said than done...... : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you have the right mind-set. And we ARE sick, so asking for accomodations is necessary.

    The way I (try to) work is do at least 20min a day in the morning during my best time...it's surprising how successful this tactic is - sometimes it's even 90 min. We'll see if gets me a PhD, but all we can do is what we can do right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! Congratulations. I've been going to evening school for years now. Stopped counting. Every little step is a step forward. Even when you're exhausted afterwards. Take care and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow...fantastic news, upnorth!!! Congrats to you!!! I think you have the right attitude...one step at a time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the encouragement San, I'm glad you've been able to make progress with school as well. What are you studying?

    Thanks At Home on the Rock.

    THanks jenji

    I am so on the edge right now to be even handling 1/10th time school which is why I feel slightly guilty taking this....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has anyone tried Valcyte? Also, has anyone had their HHV-6 titers done, as well as test for CMV along with EBV titers? Just wondering. I guess HHV-6 testing needs to be very, very specific to find an active infection, but some Stanford studies have made some progress in this area, it's just a pickle trying to find a doctor who is willing to work with the patient with such specific tests.

    How goes the anti-viral regimen, upnorth?

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know someone who tryed Valcyte and it took him to an 8/10 that lasted almost a year. Now he's really sick again, though.

    Most Dr.s think titers to EBV anyway, are meaningless. You're right - I think finding someone to treat based on this would be super difficult.

    Anti-virals so far are OK, thanks for asking - side effects wise anyway. I've been crashed the last 5 days so they don't seem to be helping yet. But we're hoping to do at least 3 month maybe even 6 to really see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome news! Congratulatons!

    I know what you mean by feeling worthless. It is so hard when we have severe limitations on a daily basis.

    I wonder if the heart monitor thing that Sue Jackson does would help you in keeping your crashes to a minimum while doing the fellowship?

    Anyway, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dominique, that sounds like a good idea (heart monitor). Not sure if i could afford it though...For now I'm just going to keep working from bed and home and see how far that takes me.

    And of course try to hold myself back on the good days. This is a major issue for me.

    ReplyDelete