Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Feels like a new season

The temperature has dropped drastically. Summer feels over. Of course in a week it could be warm again. Also, what with the semester starting and two classes under my belt already, it feels like fall. The Monday class was sweltering hot - unbelievably hot. I was dizzy, but coped and the class went OK. Thursday I have a smaller group and it was cooler. I felt quite ill that afternoon but still manged to "rally" and I enjoyed the group and teaching that day.

One of my goals this past summer was to try to camp, hopefully somewhere wildernessy. It didn't happen. I was sicker than usual this summer and I don't think it will happen unless my health improves or I have help to make it happen (e.g. someone else does all the planning, packing, driving, everything). Maybe next year, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. My friend (and housemate) Sue did take me to a friend's house on a lake for the day. It was like a mini vacation without the camping part. We lay on the dock, took a picnic lunch, motored around the lake with the electric motorboat and I even did a super short paddle in the little solo canoe. It was a wonderful day. I crashed for a few days afterwards, however, I think it was worth it just to get out.

I have a new poll of the month up, feel free to vote.

6 comments:

  1. wow that looks awesome! It's really only since I got ill that I have really appreciated the beauty of nature.... I used to do so much outdoorsy stuff but never really saw it for what it was, took it 4 granted I guess. Lets hope that we can all head off in a canoe one day! How exciting :0 hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Are they of the day out? I hope it stays cool for you so you can teach without ill effects. Awesome that you are doing it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes LeeLee, someday I hope I can head off in a canoe. It's funny the things we appreciate now that we can't have/do them isn't it?

    Yes Jo, these were photos from my day out in late August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful pictures....just love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful peaceful scene for sure, I'm glad you were able to enjoy a bit of your summer.

    It hasn't quite cooled off here yet and I am so ready, the heat is killing me -

    Enjoy the fall, I'm looking hard - send it down south some ok?
    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos!

    I hope you get to camp one day, and get to go in a canoe!

    ReplyDelete