Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Beauty of the "North"

I live in an amazingly beautiful place. Between Lake Superior (largest freshwater lake in the world), views of it's islands and peninsulas, as well as the local rocky hills, woods, creeks, rivers and inland lakes, there is natural beauty almost everywhere I look.

This time of year has become my favourite. I love the cool sunny days when the leaves are starting to turn and all the fall wildflowers are in bloom (asters, goldenrod etc). In the north (north is relative of course), the red osier dogwood leaves turn a brilliant red. I'm posting a few photos from previous years capturing the early fall days in my local region.

My love of this time of year is influenced by the fact that I have better health/more strength in the fall. I don't have to spend every minute feeling completely ill. My fall upswing seems to be here at last!! I been quite busy for me, and sometimes I wonder if I could do more/be more active other times of year as well? I question whether this yearly fall upswing is partly psychological? However, then I remind myself of times like last spring where I DID try to push myself to do more and as a result got so ill I had to spend days at a time, mostly in bed.
For me (by my standards), I've been really busy both teaching and working on an academic journal as an editorial assistant. I've been feeling stressed about everything I have to do. I need to remember just to take it day by day and not worry too much. I need to take a deep breath. As those of you who are ill know, we can't always control when a relapse or crash day will hit. Worrying about it just doesn't help.
I had a couple afternoons this past week where I just felt so ill I couldn't bear it - I didn't want to go on, I didn't want to spend another moment in this body. Luckily I know by now it's just a matter of "sticking it out" for a better day, better week. Those times when things aren't too bad. Those days that are very much worth living for.

Despite the bad afternoons, overall, I'm really happy with how I'm managing health-wise. And looking at this month's poll I have to remember to count my blessings that I function as well as I do. Yes, I have to deal with being sick and weaker than I'd like. But I DO have some functionality and I AM able to do some things.....I need to remember to be grateful for what I do have.

8 comments:

  1. gorgeous photos! autumn has always been my favorite time of year as well. Glad you made it through those bad days and are doing a bit better. I try to stay focused on what I CAN do as well, though that can be hard when we feel as sick as we all do. Hope you are pacing yourself, and that this Fall season is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Laurel, It's so important to focus (when we can)on what we are able to do rather than what we CAN'T do. As for pacing, thanks for the reminder, I'm doing my best given what I seem to have taken on. I'm crossing my fingers that I manage for the next 8 weeks without major consequences....then things will slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah you have to stay focused on the positive days and know that when you ar having a bad spell there will be a good spell waiting around the corner. Pacing ... it's so hard because on those days you feel good you just want to make up for the crappy ones and do as much as you can!
    You really do live in a beautiful spot don't you! It would be hard not to feel happy or inspired sometimes just because of your surroundings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way beautiful pics! I am a mis-placed mountain mama here in San Diego. Fall is my favorite season. Feeling the change in the air puts a bounce in my spirit. I am so glad (I hope) that my long crash is over, and I hope, like you, that I get a lot of good-days-for-my-bod's-standards!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, and I always love your images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pleased you are managing to do more and feel your autumn up-turn is happening - less worrying will save energy! Just enjoy it as much as possible. I also love autumn and am hoping someone will wheel me through a crisp sunny golden day - it's a bit early yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing these photos. We lived in Duluth many many years ago, and our oldest married a guy from there so they had a beautiful fall wedding up in that neck of the woods. Lake Superior is my favorite place to relax although it has been a few years since I could travel there.
    Sorry to hear about your bad day....glad it did not last. Fall is better for me too....I wish it lasted several months!
    Wishing you a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cool Renee. I think you have to experience Superior to understand fully. I'm just in love with this lake. Sorry you don't get up here as much any more.

    ReplyDelete