Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Rough Day

We've had two beautiful warm spring days here. I've had the urge to do all kinds of things. But I've also been feeling ill and my stamina has been poor. I did too much yesterday; then today I spent some time in the yard, planting some seedlings. I'm going to have a little herb garden and I thought I'd start some of the herbs indoors and save money rather then buying plants this year. So I was sitting on the lawn planting seeds in little pots.

Just that short 1/2 hour to an hour outside and I was completely drained - it caused tremors, dizziness, and an intense feeling of having the flu. It's just so frustrating sometimes to be so motivated, yet have a body that just won't cooperate.

Then I lay in bed feeling sick and sorry for myself, it's pathetic. Maybe I need to go back to scheduling rests throughout the day. My specialist used to have me on a regiment like this and even though it didn't always improve my status, it helped avoid these awful crashes. Right now I'm resting lots, I'm just not doing any preumptive resting. On my better days I rest less....I'm not on a strict schedule like I once was.

3 comments:

  1. Boy can I relate! And you are right! It is frustrating! Errr!

    I have been working toward 2 resting periods, one in the am and one the afternoon and then in bed at 8pm. It does seem to be helping some and it is enabling me to get out at least once a week or ever other week and do something big.

    I hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People repeatedly say of all the treatments and protocols, resting and pacing is the only one that really helps. It takes the peaks and the troughs out of the boom/bust cycle. We have short cycles running in longer ones. Sometimes a long and a short cycle coincide and you know what that feels like.

    It's annoying to have to drop everything and rest, especially if you are having a good day. But like Dominique says, the benefits are more energy, and more control too. I do three half hour rests a day. I should be doing four but I rebel. It helps to listen to something like radio drama, guided meditation or a talking book. Then you have a 'resting life' as well as an active one. But you know all this anyway since you've been through it before. I'm teaching my Grandma how to suck eggs - as we say over here.

    Another tip I use to prolong my outdoor exposure - ear plugs or iPod. It's amazing how noisy the outside can be and how draining that is.

    I hope things improve for you so you can enjoy the outside that you love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I've never been good at discipline....I'm more of the inspired, sometimes impulsive, passionate type. But the need for pacing seems to be one of those things I have trouble learning....or I learn it, then relearn it, then forget it, then learn it perpetually.

    ReplyDelete