My white blood count, as those of you who follow this blog already know, tends to run low. Specifically, I get a low grade neutropenia fairly frequently. This is common in a number of autoimmune illnesses and with chronic viral infections. The new specialist also explained that this can happen after a severe viral infection (like hepatitis or mono). I asked whether "even after 17 years" and she said yes.
She tested me for a bunch of the ones I've been tested for before (various anemias and autoimmune illnesses mostly). And while many doctors don't buy into the idea of a chronic Epstein Barr or mono infection she does think this is possibility in my case (that my body never fully fought it off). Either way, we both agreed that antivirals weren't a good option (partly because I've tried so many already with no real improvement and the side effects are pretty awful).
She is actually familiar with POTS!! which has never happened for me before outside the autonomic testing lab I went to Hamilton (and my M.E. specialist way back). Most doctors in this country (in my experience) seem pretty unfamiliar with it. Thankfully, she was not dismissive of the M.E. either.
She is testing me for a few more things (autoimmune, inflammation markers, and hepatitis) but given past experiences I don't see any of it coming back positive.
She also convinced me to try a treatment for my very low iron/ferritin stores. I've had these for over a decade because I can't tolerate ANY version of oral iron without severe gastrointestinal distress, and I really mean severe. I am receiving iron infusions at the hospital once a week for the next 6 weeks.
I had my first one this week and while I didn't have too many side effects (thankfully) I am horribly horribly crashed. This, I think is from everything I've been doing as a result of my father's heart condition and fall, puppy, and to wrap up my course/teaching for the semester. I am feeling so ill today there are no words.
I think you need a photo of puppy.
![]() |
| Ripple with a raven feather |

Are you felling any better?
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you found a new specialist that wants to run some tests even if you’ve had them in the past. One Endocrinologist I recently saw said that some times when symptoms point to something but tests come back normal in the future they come back abnormal showing you really do have what they were thinking. Hope that makes since, my brain isn’t the best lately.
My new symptom is muscle weakness in my arms. My new Rheumatologist wants a MRI the muscles in my arms and possibly a muscle biopsy. I think things cannot get worse with my ME, POTs, and all my lovely other stuff but it always seems to. I’m so tired to fighting this battle.
Your in my thoughts,
Crystal