Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Time for a Change?

Warning! heavy topics discussed below:

I'm debating making some big changes.  More than once this past year, I've wanted my life to end.  This is the morbid truth. My life is often pretty miserable (I feel so ill, weak, and dizzy), and I also feel very alone, isolated. What is the purpose of keeping on? How does my life add anything to this wide world? Who enjoys my company, especially when my energy, stamina, and symptoms effect my ability to be social?

When I returned from visiting my brother and his family, the depression hit hard again.  Outside of my housemate/friend, there's not a single person who cared or noticed I'd been away.  The dog walker maybe?  There wasn't a single missed phone message, or a single piece of mail waiting for me.

How purposeless my life seems.  Also, adding another layer, I've had severe insomnia since the trip.  Worse than I can remember having in my whole life.  I go to bed exhausted and doze a little, but mostly lay there for hours and hours, sometimes gaining only two or three disrupted hours of sleep a night.  At first I think it was due to the three hour time change.  But it's been almost 2 weeks. My usual sleep aids are doing little.  I've also added melatonin to the mix, to no avail.

This house is also weighing on me.  While in some ways I love having a home, (and it's a pretty cute one) there are many problems (some structural) that need to be addressed.  I have no extra income to address them, and I don't have the health to manage even some of the smallest tasks that somehow I thought when I bought the house, that I would manage.

So anyways, something flipped inside of me this week and I've started considering another option.  Options are something that are hard to come by when you're ill to the point of being unable to do a lot of stuff.

My disability income is contingent, for example, of me living in this province.  Since I spent the decade before getting ill out of the province, I have very limited community here.

However, I started questioning this week, why stay here in this city?  What other options could I consider? Is there somewhere else I could go and make a home for myself, somewhere where I might feel less isolated? Or is there a way for me to feel less isolated and disconnected here?

Also, could I be less burdened by a fixer upper not to mention all the usual maintenance a home needs? Could I find something much smaller and low maintenance, for example? (e.g. I've been reading a book about a tiny house, not that I necessarily want a tiny house, it just encouraged me to think outside the box).

I don't have an answer yet, but I've tried to put these questions out into the universe.  Is there a way to stop feeling so helpless and dependent (on the government, on my housemate) just wishing it would all end? Am I too sick and too old and too useless to find a life that's a little less lonely? Yes, I realize I'm very very lucky to have the security of a home to live in, and disability income to help me exist.  But even this is tinged with guilt (receiving social assistance) every time I think about it.

I feel stuck in a rut.  I want to start thinking in a less fatalistic way.  There's all sorts I can't control, most frustratingly, my health.  But what can I control? What steps could I take to deal with some of the worst burdens in my life (basically lack of employment and income, a home that's too high maintenance for someone who's ill, and most importantly, social isolation).

4 comments:

  1. I've been pondering the same things as you lately. I do live with my family (my parents are my carers) but my sister and extended family live 2-4 hrs drive away, which may as well be on the other side of the world for me at the moment. We've decided when I'm doing a bit better we will move closer to them. Being in the country is lovely and peaceful but medically there isn't much there and although I have friends, nothing compares to being close to my very large extended family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. I have a community of friends 3 and 4 hours away, but it is often really hard to get there because of health. On the other hand, I don't have any community in the province, making finding a different option here difficult. I hope you improve enough to be able to make the move, sounds like being near family would have benefits.

      Delete
  2. Hi Upnorth, well, Like you and Siobhan I too have been driving myself nuts over a similar situation. My two children live across the country but my husband and I really must live by them as we get older. If something happened to my husband I couldn't even get to the hospital, possibly I could drive there but can't maneuver a wheelchair not to mention the lack of any stamina. I've watched the Tiny House show on TV, but it looks incredibly lonely. I've also for years followed the co-housing /intentional living movement, but got very discouraged to realize that they were interesting mainly in healthy residents. Still I believe you might investigate those in your province. Many are word of mouth also. Recently cohousing and intentional communities for older people have been developed, tho you are on the young side for that, still something to look into. Well, back to my bed !!! I'll comment more if I have any other ideas. from Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas Leah, sorry it took me so long to reply. Funny, I read this soon after you wrote it. I'm feeling a bit better about my home at the moment (partly because the snow has melted and the basement has stopped leaking for now), although am still looking at options. I still know I might need to consider something different. I've also tried (just a little) to reach out in this community.

      Do you think a move is happening then in your near future? To be closer you your children? Across the country sounds a bit scary and overwhelming, especially while ill.

      Delete