Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Autonomic Dysfunction

The autonomic nervous system regulates all those things we don't think about: heart rate, blood pressure, temperature control, and digestion.  They've known for a long time that M.E. patients have some type of autonomic dysfunction, that's why most of us have some form of OI.

I've been so crashed/relapsed the last week or two, I can barely cope. My body is so heavy, weak, fluey and ill.  So yesterday, I felt pretty much like I was dying, although I knew it was the M.E.  I decided to take my HR and BP and my HR was 50, which is pretty slow.  Of course I was barely moving.  Then I stood up and it was over 150.  So while you need an increase of 30 beats a minute when standing to have POTS, I had an increase of OVER 100.  Obviously when I'm this sick, so is my autonomic nervous system.

Please send any extra vibes and good thoughts you can my way. I am so very ill at the moment. I know I'll improve eventually, but I would like it to be soon. I wake up everyday lately and think, "I might be just a tad better".  But I don't think I am (yet). I'm still super weak and shaky if I try to use my muscles. My body feels sick and poisoned, viral, heavy.

On the positive, we had a big snowfall this week, and the world outside my window, while cold (-20 with a -36 windchill) is just beautiful. Even sick, I love winter, which I guess is a good thing, given where I live.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Upnorth, I thought I sent a comment this morning but bet I forgot to hit publish. Just as well since I got on the subject of the new name and it's best I leave that for another comment. You need peace and calm and I wasn't too calm about my reaction but like you do like that finally we just might have a disease. I wanted to wish you well and sure hope you recover very soon from this crash that sounds awful. I'm sorry you didn't get to your parents but sounds like you really had no choice. That POTS is wicked. Thinking of you ----from Leah (now I will hit publish).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry you lost your comment Leah, I hate when that happens. Thanks for you kind thoughts…hope you are doing as well as possible at the moment. It seems to be a touch time of year for folks (I've heard of a lot of people crashed and relapsed).

      Delete
  2. Hi Upnorth. Sorry to hear you're so ill. I've had a difficult couple of weeks as well (and always do this time of year). Here's hoping things turn around soon. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what it is about the time of year? I hope you feel better soon too L.

      Delete