Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Crawl into your lair!

Halloween approaches.  Who better to represent this holiday than someone like me? I'm like a creature, abdormal…mostly living in my lair.
Ha ha

I've been pushing it a bit lately, and then crashing. Sometimes I'm so ill and weak and utterly fatigued that all I want to do is curl up in a ball and disappear.

On the other hand, I'm still having moments where I function (a little) briefly, so that's nice.

For a week now I've thought I had a cold or flu, then changed my mind, then changed it back.  My throat's been worse, my achiness/fluiness worse, and major sinus issues. All these, however, could just be M.E….it's crazy making.

After 6 months, I was able to find a few moments to work on a print. For fun, I'll post a series of photos showing the process.  The image was created by carving two blocks, inking them with oil ink, then pressing them - whereby the image is transfered onto paper.

Then later, I added the yellow and the canoe with watercolour paints, so this is technically a mixed media piece.  Not the best, but not the worst either. I like the feeling of movement with the piece.

first carving

carving with ink

Paper image with bottom layer of ink

key block (or top layer) inked up

paper showing two block (two colour) image

More colour added to tamaracks, aspen and canoe
with watercolour paints

On another note, I saw a long article, a follow up, from the video I posted last time. So if you want to know about the huge immune project going on at Standford, (and you're up for reading a long article) here you go.  At least it's hopeful making:
http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2014fall/immune-system-disruption.html


4 comments:

  1. gail - it is really neat to see the process! i've always been fascinated by block printing. thanks for showing this. best - jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I so wish you could come hang out and print with me, wouldn't that be a blast??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would LOVE to have you teach me how to block print. now if i could just get my teleporter to work... :-) jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I work with a doctor named Bill Rawls in North Carolina who has recently written a book about his struggle with fibromyalgia called "Suffered Long Enough." He is a traditionally trained physician, but found the medical community's treatments for his illness lacking, so he developed his own. Would you possibly be interested in writing something about the book on your blog? I'd love to give you an advanced copy if you're interested. It's out November 10.

    Thanks so much for your time.

    Sincerely,

    Alex Granados

    ReplyDelete