Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Thursday, January 31, 2013

A change of space, a change of pace

 For a change of pace and space, I traveled to see friends.  I'm in the small town where I used to live and work pre illness.  It's nice to lay in a different bed, on a different couch while I do some writing, emails, watch TV.  Also, it's always good to see old friends

I'm adding a few photos here from the last month.  Winter scenes from around home.  I so love getting out in the winter, but it's much harder because I can't just sit somewhere, it's too cold.  So the outings when they happen are very very short.

Winter on the creek
Good news on the c. difficile front, my first retest came back negative (due to false negatives I'm supposed to do three).  Either way, I have a stash of drugs for next time I get it (because it seems that if history is any evidence, I will).  The A.F. is healing, albeit slowly.  I'm still on a very high fiber low carb and low protein diet.  I'm hoping that will change soon.  I am not in pain all day anymore but I still can't stand very long or sit in a hard chair or any chair for very long (to be honest, that's been the case forever due to OI and M.E., but right now it's also due to pain).



forgotten nest


I am back in my old stomping grounds.  It's always a mixed bag when I come here.  Some old friends and acquaintances get offended because when I come here, I hole up, usually at N.'s house and visit one person, if anyone.  People take this personally.  I don't think anyone from my old life here understands how sick I am and that, despite the fact I look fine, in reality I am ill and weak.  Also, people don't know that outings and social events have repercussions that don't hit for 36 hours.

For example, while I went to dinner the other night with some old friends and had a lovely time, yesterday I was in bed most the day. I felt so sick and awful all day that it brought me to tears.

So while I'm here it's a game of regulating activity.  I push too hard in order to remember I had (have?) friends, people who really liked (like?) me and want to see me.  It's really good for my psyche.  Still, if I go too far, push too hard to fit people and activities in, I will hurt myself long term - even paying the price for months. So I am trying to walk that tightrope, play the balancing act.



To be honest, I'm feeling right now that I never want to leave.  I feel so at home here.  I have friends, I am liked, and the stress is low.  I'm sure if I lived here the novelty would wear off and the stress would creep back in, but for now, I'm enjoying this time.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes despite the difficulty the change of scenery is really good for the soul. But i know it's hard to go back to where an "old" life was...I went "shopping" with one of my dearest friends here in Phoenix which we use to do all the time...it's a beautiful outdoor mall...but after walking once I just sat and people watched and had her shop - i so enjoyed myself and she said this was so fun it reminded her of the old times...and i got a bit melancholy - yep the old times...
    I am also writing to ask you to participate in this blog a thon...i am sorry for the short notice and even if it's not today anytime would be great...it's to help promote the blog that became a book for my friend who passed from cervical cancer and all proceeds go to her daughter
    enjoy -
    xo heather
    http://selfpublishingteam.com/indiesforward/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad about your friend, I'm so sorry.
      It is a mix of sad and happy....happy to remember the good times and see old friends....sad that their lives continued and in a lot of ways mine stopped.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures!
    It's good to have some time too enjoy. I am happy that you had good time. Be careful with physical activities though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best to play the ballance Yun Yi, I don't want to miss the chance to see old friends, and I don't mind a crash day here or there - I just don't want to go down hill overall. You know how hard it is I'm sure.

      Delete
  3. Great that the tests came back negative! Don't know if you're subscribed to this blog and so have already seen this, but the CFS Patient Advocate had a post about c. difficile that you might be interested in: http://cfspatientadvocate.blogspot.com/2013/01/fecal-transplants-hit-big-time.html

    A bit, um, unusual method, but still interesting!

    Anyway, glad you're having a nice time with old friends! It's always so nice (and somehow also depressing, at least for me) to catch up with people and remember how things used to be. Take care of yourself though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, so nice and also depressing - that hits the nail on the head DolceVita. I would love to try fecal implant, not too grossed out at all, and while it could really help with the c. diff, I bet it would also help with my immune system overall. Interesting stuff.

      Delete