Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Sunday, August 14, 2011

This sickie can camp!

Well I just did something outrageous!....at least for someone who's mostly homebound and often in bed lying down (partly due to the ME, partly due to the OI).


I went wilderness camping.

As most of you know, my pre-M.E. career was outdoor educator/wilderness instructor working mostly with teens. I did this work for 9 years year-round. For 6 of those years between guiding trips and personal days I was probably out in the backcountry about 200 days a year.


Of course I miss it and there have been plans for me to go out almost every year since I got sick.

But either I was too sick to make it happen, or feeling like if I made it happen, I wouldn't even enjoy it due to feeling so ill.

While I was attending that course this summer I couldn't even sustain the 2 hours a day for four weeks. There were days as I lay in bed frustrated, sick, humiliated, that I thought, "Why am I putting myself through this?" "What am I gaining here?"



I had a kind of epiphany....I mean I can push myself hard with consequences, but why not do this for something I'll enjoy?

So I figured I'd try to "go out". My lovely housemate and friend realized I was planning to do this alone and decided to take her days off to go with me. She helped me make it happen.

So the three of us (dog included) went. In retrospect it worked much better having help. She drove us there as driving causes me to crash. I live in an area that is surrounded by lakes and wilderness/backcountry on all sides which makes for easy access. We picked a lake, launched the canoe and canoed until we found a campsite that would work. She paddled, I mostly steered.



We spent two nights camping which involved sitting on an island, resting in the tent....eating....sitting by the fire...sitting by the lake. Not too different from home in bed except I could hear the waves on the shore, the wind through the aspens, and the loons on the lake.

The only epic was the paddle back to the car as the waves picked up and I was forced to actually paddle with my weak shaky M.E. arms....I managed to rally and now can't use my arms (arms are crashed); however, that will pass.




I think this will have to be a yearly endeavour. While I'm crashed, I was before going too. I've been so depressed about my life that this little outing will give me something to smile about for a while. I think it worked partly because I prepared myself mentally that I would be sick out there.





Sometimes when I imagine myself in a different space, subliminally I don't imagine the illness coming with me. But preparing myself beforehand to expect this experience to be different from my "well" past helped. Still, there were a few surprises like a couple near faints from OI and legs that didn't work (were weak and shaky and unstable). Overall, though, a success....in fact, more successful than some trips to see friends and family where the travel and social is so draining.







9 comments:

  1. Oh, wonderful wonderful!! I am so glad you were able to do this...it must renew your soul when you love nature so very much...Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic!

    What a wonderful friend you have too!

    I'm so happy you had some time to simmer in the environment you're so comfortable. Cute Doggy, too.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee, I'm so glad too...I can draw on it over the next couple month when I feel esp. badly.

    Jenji, yes, my housemate/friend/cousin is wonderful to do this for me....and my dog rocks. That was the only "group" photo - one of those stretch out your arm ones...not flattering, but funny. I look so palid and pale in photos these days I avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now the payback....alas...hopefully it's not too bad a punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see that I'm not the only crazy ass housebound CFS chick that roughed it this summer. I went for a weekend on an island in Maine. No electricity or running water. I did have a cabin and mattresses so it wasn't as extreme as your outing. It is now two weeks later and I'm just starting to feel better. I'm really glad I went! Hope you recover soon. Isn't it wonderful to be outside for a few days??? It all felt so glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baffled...good for you...and yes, it's glad to know I'm not the only one....I've just layed in bed through so many summers hoping next summer will be the one....so I just went.

    I bet Maine is beautiful.

    Do you have a blog?
    I'm been having trouble "following" lately....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Upnorth...

    I've been reading your blog for a long time, but never really had the nerve to comment - while I've lurked around on many CFS blogs, yours is the one that always hit me the hardest.

    I've had mild CFS for about two years - and I've been lucky enough that it's been improving all the time. But....I used to be a serious mountaineer and technical rock climber. I used to lead trips in the backcountry too. I haven't gone on a long rock trip or backpacking trip since I became ill.

    I go climbing sometimes at the gym. I can run a couple miles a few times a week. I just returned from a ten day trip to a national park where I hiked 2-3 miles a day, whitewater rafted, and rode horses (sometimes I didn't feel great, but I could still do it). I know all of that sounds like a LOT, and I am so grateful that I get to do those things....but I wouldn't be able to go on a long backpacking trip. I'd be nervous about doing a big wall with my climbing partner.

    I know this sounds like nothing compared to what you're going through. But I just wanted to say that I know how it hurts to be away from the wilderness - I'd give anything to just shoulder my pack and climb up on the mountain, where my heart is.

    I hope we both get to spend more days in a tent in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for your kind words, Anonymous

    It sounds like we both had very similar lifestyles pre-M.E./CFS....I'm glad you're still getting out there. I think that's important for many reasons (to feed your soul, and to stay as conditioned as possible)....I wish I'd forced myself to do more during the years even feeling awful.

    I hope you improve with your illness, with milder cases I think there is more hope for improvement. Of course take care of yourself too.

    Thanks for visiting and commenting...it's nice to know I'm not the only wilderness freak who's come down with this awful disease.

    ReplyDelete
  9. UpNorth? Sorry, but this is the only way I have of reaching you. Do you have a problem with me? :-(
    If so, can we talk about it and work it out?
    My email is available at my blog. Judy

    ReplyDelete