Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, August 24, 2009

Seasonal Fluctuations


My parents flew home yesterday and so I have my little house to myself again. The PhD summer course is completely finished (I handed in my paper last week). I now have a week before things get busy again. (Except if I'm sticking with the PhD program, I need to confirm a research topic and write some grant applications - it's expected that we do this).

I'm looking forward to this week to rest up, read, go for little walks, play with the dog.

Health wise, I'm feeling stronger. I think I can say I've fully recovered from the July PhD course. Which doesn't mean I'm a healthy person, it just means I'm back to my normal...

Every fall (starting in late summer) I start to feel better, stronger. It's been true almost since the beginning of the illness. It sometimes even lasts into January. Typically, Sept -Nov. are my best months every year. Late winter and early spring are usually my worst months, although I can have bad months in early and mid-summer too.

Weird, I know. I've tried to figure it out. It can't be a temperature thing because it's really cold and dark here in Nov. and Dec. It's not related to flu season because that's usually over by May and I can still have bad months in May and June. For a while I was trying to find an allergy trigger but I don't think that's it either.....
Recently, it came to me that maybe it has to do with vitamin D. For example, by late winter, I probably don't have much vit. D in my system....then over the summer as I build it up again, I start to feel better. Perhaps it remains in my system until early winter??? It's a total shot in the dark, but like a lot of people with this illness I'm always trying to figure out what triggers crashes and relapses and for me, seasonal fluctuations. This theory seem to fit better than other ones I've had.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that lack of vit. D could be a CAUSE of this illness, but perhaps an influence on my seasonal fluctuations.

Anyways, seeing as it's late summer, I'm hoping for my usual upward trend to continue. However, I've pushed myself harder this summer than any summer since 2003 (when I tried to work full time), so I hope that doesn't affect the trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment