Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, May 11, 2020

The Restorative Power of Nature

As you know, I'm having a really rough time at present. My chronic illnesses have been flaring, Covid-19 restrictions have led to increased feelings of loneliness (and worthlessness), and I'm still struggling with the loss of my dad. However, any time I manage to get out for a short walk in nature it helps. Sometimes it helps a little, sometimes a lot, but with every nature outing, I notice a perceptible shift in my mood.

Today, I decided to make time to head out for an hour to one of my favourite local trails. It's pretty unknown, it's Monday (so few if any users), and a section of the trail is flooded at present so I almost never see anyone else there.

Right now the final patches of snow are melting, and the moss is a vibrant green. We (the dogs and I) don't just walk when we go—we play fetch, they swim in the river, we explore, and I often find things to examine or spend some time just sitting and soaking it all in, breathing the fresh air.

Forest Trail

A Mossy Blanket





Vestiges of Winter



No, it's not a beaver, it's a Ripple 

No comments:

Post a Comment