Over family day weekend, I went to visit family (brother and his family including niece, 13yrs, and nephew, 12yrs). It's been planned for 3 months or so. It consisted of two shortish flights (no need to leave the plane between). It was tough travel, but I made it okay, and the first day there mostly rested and hung out with the kids.
Day two we checked something off my bucket list and went to skate on the Rideau canal, the largest maintained natural skating rink in the world. It was (obviously) a big day even with just the outing. We rented a push sled so for the most part I just 'rode' in it. However, I did rent skates and skated briefly a few times along the way (it's a 7km section of canal). It was fun to glide along although each time I got up my leg muscles became weak surprisingly fast.
One of my disabled brothers moved to the area a year ago so the next day we visited him. I hadn't seen him since I moved my dad north in 2016 so it was great to visit him in person. I knew this was a bit crazy to "push" this hard (outings two days in a row), on the other hand I thought I'd have a few days to rest before my return flight.
That night I felt horrible and I woke the next morning with influenza (fever, severe aches and a cough). I've been so so sick ever since. Even with influenza I chose to fly home because I was so desperate for my own bed and a blackened room - quiet and rest. I'm not sure what kept me upright for the travel - I was semi delirious with fever, but I made it.
The fever continued for 6 days! By Friday morning it had finally dropped to a low grade one, but when I got out of bed Friday morning I was so lightheaded I thought I'd check my BP. After putting the cuff on I (somewhat ironically) fainted! I came to (uninjured) on the floor with the dog standing over me wagging her tail.
I've felt like such a wimp with this flu - I've just been so sick. I still have a cough, am terribly weak, fatigued and brain fogged I can't imagine ever doing anything again - my suitcase and carry-on sit unpacked by the door. My brother got the plague the day I left and said it's left him completely wiped out as well.
Part of my post-flu includes a kind of depression. I also haven't been able to eat almost at all - complete lack of appetite.
To boot, my dad got robbed while I was away! We were suspicious about why his cash seemed to be disappearing so quickly so we were keeping careful track. In a one week period we know for sure someone (likely staff with access to his room) took off with $190 and I'm pretty sure it was about the same ($200) the two weeks before. It's very very frustrating that people who are supposed to be supporting seniors are instead stealing from them!!! It's the last thing I want to be dealing with, however, when and if I recover, we are going to buy a better safe (they stole from his locked cash box). The theft has also been reported to the police, although likely they can't do much.
I know that influenza is one common pathway to M.E. (post-viral). Right now I feel like I'm right back at day one post mono (or honestly, I couldn't tell you when mono became M.E.). I hope the damage isn't irreparable and that I'm back to square one....I certainly hope not. I had influenza in 2004 two years into M.E. and I know I managed recovery from that bout. Send healing/recovery thoughts my way if you can.
Oh no, Gail -- you've been hit very hard with all of this. Sending healing vibes your way for sure. (Sounds like you were in 'my' neck of the woods over family day) :)
ReplyDelete