Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Calm in the Storm


Overall, I've had a rough month.  I've been especially crashed and unable to do 'outings' without nasty consequences.  That being said, I do have moments, especially in the mornings, where I don't feel terrible.

This illness is like having a monster living inside me.  If I: a) get lucky, and b) don't move too much, sometimes the monster falls asleep briefly.  I can lay in bed or in my lazy boy and close my eyes and 'feel' or imagine that my body isn't sick.  It's like a calm in the storm.

I did manage to finally do a non medical appointment outing.  It was super cold out Saturday morning -20 C with a -30 windchill, and the sun was shining.  Partly due to my days as a winter guide, I love winter.  I could feel the lure of the sun and cold temps.  So I bundled up and drove down the hill to the waterfront.  I spent about 10 mins down there, and I took some photos.








The ice that had formed on the plants was incredible with the light reflecting off and through it.  I was in awe by this amazing picture of beauty, I've never seen anything quite like it before.

Last week, I managed to print just a black and white print I'll share here, also reminiscent of my former days out on trail in winter with sled dogs.  It's not my best print ever, but there is something about it I do like.  With most my less sick moments these days I've been doing art.  Of course lots of it doesn't 'work', but it doesn't seem to stop the images bombarding me as I lay in bed….


I have my holter monitor test this week which means two outings two days in a row, hopefully I'm having a stronger week.  I wear a HR monitor and a cuff which takes my BP every 1/2 hour for 24 hours. Wish me luck.


3 comments:

  1. Don't fight too much upnorth! We are all fighter, that's why we crash again and again. But easy to say hard to do. I recently almost completely rid off walking and biking and found it helped tremendously!
    Nice print! I like snow pine trees. And the photos are all stunning to me! I never saw scenery like that. And those ships or boats in the distance, look like floating.. amazing!
    Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never seen ice on plants like that before. It really is eye-catching and beautiful. You captured it so well here and I really like the print you did too.

    I remember having to wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hrs, as doctors have to now do this before they are allowed to diagnose you with high blood pressure. It's quite comfortable and after a few hours you get use to the tightening around your arm every 1/2 hour. I wish you all the best with the results. And I hope you're not too bad on the days when you have to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful photos, everything looks so much prettier in snow, but I hate it when it melts and we are left with brown mush everywhere. Good luck for your upcoming tests and finers crossed you cope with the two outings as well as possible. Let us know how you get on x Hayley-Eszti from hayleyeszti.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete