Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Monday, December 31, 2012

Books I Read in 2012


Here's a list of the books I read this year.  I starred my favourites.  As you can see, I tried to read some of the old children's classics I never read as a kid.  For example: Jungle Book, Watership Down, Wind in the Willows.

I am HOME!!!  Which is (I think) good.  And I survived Christmas in the south. There were challenges based the the situations down there (more to follow in a later blog), but on the positive, it made me realize that things could be a lot worse (they are for certain family members).

So if you are a reader, maybe you can find a good pick for 2013 in this list.

And Happy New Year to my blogging friends.

2012

1. I am number four - Pittacus Lore
2. The Jungle Book – Rudyard Kipling
3. David Copperfield - Charles DIckens
4. The Power of Six - Pittacus Lore
5. Lizard Cage - Karen Connelly
*6. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
7. Dance with Dragons - George R. R. Martin
8. Orx and Crake - Margaret Attwood
9. Heart of Lies - M. L. Malcolm
10. I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: Six's Legacy - Pittacus Lore
11. Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic, Mystery & a Very Strange Adventure - Lissa Evans
12. Inheritance -  Christopher Paolini
13. How to be Sick - Toni Bernard
14. The Tiger's Wife - Tea Obriht
15. Seven Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
*16. Watership Down - Richard Adams
17. Augusta Locke - Willian Haywood Henderson
18. The Tiger - John Vaillant
19. Sharp North - Patrick Cave
*20. Sweetness in the Belly – Camilla Gibb
21. Churchill on Hudson Bay - Agnes and Bernice MacIver
22. The Chosen – Chaim Potok
23. 100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
*24. The Diviners - Margaret Laurence
25. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J K Rowling
26. The White Bone – Barabara Gowdy
27. Okay for Now – Gary D. Schmidt
28. A Good House – Bonnie Burnard
29. The Flight of Gemma Hardy – Margot Livesey
30. The Casual Vacancy – J K Rowling
31. Magisterium – Jeff Hirsch
32. Cat’s Table ­– Michael Ondaatje
33. The Sisters Brothers – Patrick deWitt
*34. Divergent – Veronica Roth
35. Insurgent – Veronica Roth
36. The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise – Julia Stuart
37. The Virgin Cure – Ami McKay
38. The Prisoner of Azkaban – JK Rowling
39. The Kindness of Strangers – Katrina Kittle
40. The Maelstrom – Henry Neff
41. Summer of the Wolves – Lisa Williams Kline
42. The Hobbit – J R Tolkien
43. The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
44. Plainsong – Kent Haruf

7 comments:

  1. WOW! What a long list of books...most of which I have not read! Glad to hear you are home and it is going well.....Happy New Year, upnorth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, happy new years to you too, I hope it's a decent one for both of us?!

      Delete
  2. What a long list! What were your top 3? Good to hear you survived the trip home :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DolceVita, I actually put some little stars by the numbers of my fav. 5 from the year (Divergent was my favourite youth fiction but wouldn't have made my favourite 5 outright to be honest). If you are a reader, check them out. Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  3. That's a huge list. I could not read that many simply because my body would not allow me to do. My slow blood circulation requires some constant motion, yet not too much.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yun Yi, reading is one of the blessings I still have. And it helps me sleep. I go to bed, read a few chapters and then drift off. I love exiting my sick world for another one, it's such an escape. Wish you were able to read more. Happy New Year, I hope the year ahead is a good one for you.

      Delete
  4. Great list! We seem to have similar interests in books, as quite a few of your books were/are on my list as well (though on audio). I'm actually about to start Divergent -- I've heard good things. I'd not heard of Sweetness in the Belly -- thanks for the tip. It's going on my to-read list! I wondered, are you on Goodreads at all?

    Happy New Year to you! Hope it brings you better health.

    ReplyDelete