Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Friday, September 28, 2012

Sad

I find with this illness, the sadness comes and goes.  When I'm functioning low, feeling terribly sick, it's almost like there is no room to be sad.

I've just come through two weeks where every morning I wake up, think I might be a little improved, then an hour into my day realize it's the same heavy flu and fatigue.  It's been so challenging just to mentally get myself through the days.  At the same time, I've had little choice but to lay around all day.

Then the last two days, I finally picked up.  It was such a glorious relief yesterday when at 11am I wasn't feeling deathly ill.  So did I rest, and store up those good hours?  Did I put my energy (money) in the bank?  No, I started working on a print (I do block printing). Then in the evening, my roommate took me on a drive to a beautiful river rapid and we sat there as the sun was setting.  The aspens are brilliant yellow right now, the red osier dogwood and blueberries red, it's the peak of fall here.  The dog swam and we soaked in the view, then we drove home watching an almost full moon the whole way.  It was magical.

Today I woke and had another of these precious days....a day where all my mental energy isn't taken up  coping with the physical.  So I worked on my print again and got my hair cut (two outings in two days).  My hair has been driving me mad for a month, but I haven't had a single day where I felt up to going out for a cut.

So I should be happy.  This is freedom for me right?  But instead I'm feeling really sad.  Sad that my life is so empty.  I want to disappear.  I watch my roommates come and go, seemingly able to do what they please.  I know this isn't completely true....I mean they have to go to work and school.  They have to take care of tasky stuff like shopping and mowing the lawn (which I can't help with).  But they can also go for walks, out to movies, out for meals, shopping, driving, socializing, saunas, etc....

It's rare I can do any of these things and when I can, they are usually miserable experiences, if not during, then for days afterwards.

So there is the small sadness of the little things, but even bigger is the sadness for the larger ones.  I have no partner, haven't dated in years.  I have no children (which I really wanted).  I have no job at present, and I feel useless.  I live off the government.  The most "giving" thing I do is phone my parents weekly, or the dishes, or send an occasional letter or package.  I feel like a useless lump in the universe.

And I look to the future and have trouble hoping for or wanting anything.  I'm just sad.  And my instinct is to be alone right now.  I want to be away from people, away from everyday life and having to witness all the things I'm missing.  I'm tired of this sick body and having to lug it around.  I'm tired of people telling me I don't look sick.

To top it off, I didn't get my results from the MRI which means now I have to wait until Monday to find out if I have cancer....there, I said it.  I know it's probably not cancer, however, I don't know that for sure.  And if it is, I just want to know and get on with things.  I don't want to wait three more days with that hanging over me.

I talked to a friend who's daughter had the same MRI as me two days before and she got her results yesterday, so I'm guessing/hoping by Monday or Tuesday.

I'll post some photos of the river outing soon, there are some really nice ones.

8 comments:

  1. Hi up north
    What you are saying is resonating with me right now. I.get.it. I am still in my recliner, hopeful and yet struggling every single day. Periodically I melt in tears because I cannot walk and oh I miss it so very very much.
    So much time lost. I am so sorry for you. Sending hugs and prayers as you grieve. Be gentle on yourself. We have today. For me that meant a long walk to the hospital lab for a blood test, and resting, and visiting with our youngest while sitting on the porch ignoring the pain again.
    Take care up north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are savouring the little moments, so sorry you're having another setback.

      Delete
  2. sorry upnorth. i know how tough it is, while you cannot even get what you want for a basic simple life. i am like you, single without a partner for many many years. i didn't even tried to find one for all these years, because i was too sick to be myself, and without being myself, i don't think i could find a right one. as matter of fact, i am prepared to spend all the rest of my life with myself. i guess all we need to do is going on with what we have on hand, one day a time. what else we can do?
    glad you doing your printmaking. hope you post some in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you are more at peace with your life Yun Yi....something I am working towards too. And you are right about one day at a time....it's just when the day is a bad one isn't it hard to keep you brain thinking forward about tomorrow an hoping it will be bette? It's such a balancing act isn't it? I'll post this amateurish print I've been playing with soon. I had fun making it. Thanks for asking....I know you are more of a professional artist :) I appreciate you wanting to see my work.

      Delete
  3. Hi upnorth, I understand too. I really hate being around healthy people for very long (except immediate family !). I just can't bear to hear about their travels or something as simple as going to the library. When alone surrounded by my electronic devices I can almost block out the rest of the world. But we must keep writing, documenting our lives, connect with each other as we're doing now. (my husband is making noise in the kitchen - I'm going to go out of my mind !!!). Of course a healthy person wouldn't even react, it's just normal noise (to normal people). You did some artwork, it our world that's an accomplishment. I worked a little on my scrapbooks. I"m out of words, Ijust hit a wall. Don't know where I was going on that !!!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's esp. important to have these creative outlets for us. Takes our minds off our bodies, and whatever the product, it's a product, albeit sometimes small. I so agree.

      Delete
  4. hi there - oh we all understand and you said it beautifully - sad -i've have been in the midst of the same feelings -and that kahbil ghibran poem about joy and sorrow i keep coming back to - i think this illness is the definition of that parallel between joy and sorrow - when we get glimpse of the joy and remember what it felt like to be free the weight of that is often too much to bear - sending you all my love and support - heather

    On Joy and Sorrow
    Kahlil Gibran

    Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
    Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
    And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
    When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
    When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

    Some of you say, "Joy is greater thar sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits, alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

    Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
    Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
    When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment of course you can re-post or link - either way - heather

    ReplyDelete