Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Taking a Leap of Faith - Wilderness Camping Sickie Style

So I had been planning a canoe trip for a year.  Well, not a canoe trip really, more of a wilderness camping trip.  But I wanted to be in the wilderness and as I can barely walk, the only access that I could  possibly manage was by canoe.

During this past year (as well as other years) I've been laying in bed looking at maps and photos and nearby parks and wilderness areas on google earth, trying to figure what the easiest (for a sickie) most worthwhile trip could be.

I spent time making lists of what I would need.

We (my roommates and I) had planned it for a week in August to that they could help me pack, drive me there, and then pick me up.

I started packing about a month before hand.

Two weeks before the trip (after a decent July) my health took a plummet and I thought, "There is just no way, I am too sick".

It was my roommate's momentum  that got me there.  I was in tears of fear and just sick/fluiness the day before and the day of departure.  They picked up the canoe I'd rented (the lightest one I could find), and got my stuff in the car.  I was still on the edge, feeling too awful to deal.


But on the morning planned, I dragged myself to the car.  On the drive I was feeling waves of sickness but at that point my excitement was also building.  Sick or not, crashed or not, I was going.  I thought "All l have to do is paddle a few meters up the shore, drag the boat on shore, and lay down just like I do at home".

Well, to make a long story short I'm SO glad I went.  The big effort really was the drive out and back.

I spent seven nights in one of the most beautiful wilderness areas I've ever been to and that's saying something.

I did spend most my time flat....but flat on the rocks looking out over the lake and islands....flat on my back looking at a sky full of stars, or the sun setting over the horizon.  I read a lot, journaled some, napped lots, took little dips in the cold clear water of Lake Superior.

And I was barely lonely.  I had some trepidation about the solo part of the trip, but really, I've been on a long solo the whole time I've been sick. I mean I spent more than 4 years living a lone mostly trapped in my house, too sick to go out....so this was nothing.  I enjoyed the peacefulness of it, the complete lack of stress.  I didn't want to leave at the end.

I'm not going to share all the details of the experience, but I'll share some photos instead.  And I'm planning on doing it again next year already.  Sick or not, this sickie can camp.  Admittedly, I needed lots of help (all the shopping, the shuttle, and some of the packing)...but if I can muster it again next year I'll be out there again.

heading down the coast, someone's excited


sunset from the tent

there was lots of napping on rocks

gorgeous coastline

clear, blue-green water

photo session at sunrise

sunrise on the creek

caribou tracks in the sand 


favourite camping spot with a view!



'group' photo

21 comments:

  1. I am bursting with joy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hkd, I'm sure you 'get' what a huge thing this was for a sickie who loves the outdoors.

      Delete
  2. gail - this is beautiful on many many levels. love from colorado - jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, yes it was wonderful....I didn't want to leave, I wanted to stay out forever.
      Maybe someday you should come up to the Canadian coast of superior...it's something else.

      Delete
  3. The Group Photo is priceless.

    I'm so, so happy for you.


    best,
    jenji

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?? Really it wasn't a solo trip.
      Lets chat soon.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I can't believe you were brave enough to paddle anywhere and set up all the camping stuff and everything on your own! I can imagine how tiring, and yet incredibly rewarding it was for you! I'm so happy for you, it looks so beautiful and soul-nourishing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so rewarding DolceVita....it was actually really hard to ask for and get all the help I needed to make it happen. Out there, the hardest part was dragging the canoe to shore....otherwise there wasn't much camping gear to set up except my little tent. And to be honest, one night was spent on the ground under the stars for lack of energy to set it up....but that was a bonus, because the other nights I was a sleep before the stars came out heehee.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! I am a fellow nature-loving PWC, and have found that I feel better when camping. I just wish it were more pleasant to do during the colder months...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Rambler, yes I'm surprised I wasn't terribly crashed while out there...no worse than home, although now that I'm home I'm crashed from the whole thing. I think the sun is so good for us, the fresh air and just being in nature....I truly believe it's healing. I'll try to follow your blog.

      Delete
  6. upnorth, what a fighter you are! you look great! also your photos, of course. and you dog. the first one is so intriguing. i plan to have a dog like that when my energy gets better:-) what a heavenly place you camped! so beautiful.
    thanks for share and have a good rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yun Yi, having a dog is such a blessing. I really consider her my "service" dog because emotionally, in some ways, she has saved my life. The comfort of the company and so loving....

    I managed when I lived alone to have a dog, back then I had a senoir dog that I had from before I was sick....she didn't need much exercise and was easy to care for.

    With this one, I need to get help (obviously) for the exercise part....actually sometimes I'm too crashed even to feel up to letting her out, but I'm lucky that way I have roommates. I hope you get to have a dog. I would suggest to adopt an adult one when you do as they take a lot less energy than a puppy.

    Now I need to rest, I'm pretty crashed from the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, about the dog thing, I know a fellow blogger with M.E. who also recently adopted a dog...you can read about it if you'd like: http://jen-mecfs.blogspot.ca

      Delete
    2. Thanks upnorth for advices. I love walking and as my energy gets better (not very soon, but in near future), I suppose I could handle a dog like yours. :-) I went Treya's blog and it was wonderful!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for you comment on my blog - for some reason when i try and "reply" the little box is all messed up - so i thought i would just thank you from your own! You are so right that we are strong - and this illness - with its awful name seems to label us as weak - but anyone that gets up every day dealing with this and searching and searching for anything that will work to get better - push and push when we know sometimes you have to succumb - we are strong - and thank you for reminding me of that. I was lucky - I had a doctor appointment at 4pm that I literally was dizzy at but its my allergist that I love and he wanted to check my lungs from my recent cold - so i thought it best i go and make sure the fatigue wasn't due to the Reactive Airway Disease - and as i was leaving things finally lifted- got a nice surprise when a a friend and her son stopped by - so rosy it became!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing and beautiful photos upnorth...and so so exciting you were able to go. It must restore your soul to be where you feel most at home. I best your rest now comes with a big smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Renee, somehow it feeds my soul like nothing else...pretty sick in the post-days unfortunately, but resting and recovering I hope.

      Delete
  10. Hi Upnorth, What a joy to read and and view the gorgeous photos. Thankyou so much. I'm so happy for you, that you took the leap and survived. That was a good idea to start packing a month ahead. I really can't quite fathom wilderness like that, amazing. from Leah (don't feel you have to answer this --just rest and recover)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Leah, I'm so glad I managed it. pretty sick now (with a crash and a cold virus that took advantage of my tired body I think)....will return to blogging once I'm feeling a tad better.

      Delete
  11. Such beautiful photos! So glad you got to do this.

    ReplyDelete