Thought for the Day:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.

- Emily Dickinson

Saturday, March 3, 2012

I'm Shrinking

Well, the gut infection is pretty much over. It lasted 7 or 8 days.

However, it's been two weeks now and I'm still having trouble eating solids due to pain (which is much improved but still there) and major grumbling and rumbling every time I eat. But I am eating. Smoothies and some blended soups. I just tried a yogurt smoothie Popsicle (with probiotics added) - WOW!! that was good. I highly recommend them to anyone who's having major gut issues.

Last Tues. I had my tele health appointment with my specialist finally after 6 mo waiting. I was determined not to talk about my recent gut issues because I didn't want my M.E. agenda usurped. Unfortunately my gut issues got dragged in and ended up taking up more than half the appointment.

She asked my NP to do a bunch more blood work to send along to my appointment with the Gastroenterologist in a week and a half. She's on a kick that it might be Giardia related due to my years in the woods and the recent research out of Norway showing Giardia outbreaks as a precursor to M.E.

I tried to remind her that I started with a severe Mono infection, but I guess it doesn't hurt to investigate.

I also got a lecture on pacing and resting. The last thing I need is to feel like my ill health is my fault, like I somehow brought this terrible year on myself. I do nothing with my life but rest it seems. If rest was a cure, it would have worked by now. (That being said, I can occasionally overdo it on my good days).

She was going to look into some Florinef for me to perhaps help with my terrible POTS/OI symptoms. I figure my quality of life would improve drastically if I could sit up in the mornings. Mornings are my least sick time of day M.E.-wise but my worst POTS wise. I would love to be able to take those hours back somehow.

I've now lost 10 lbs in two weeks. I'm shrinking. While my gut is much improved, I've developed a bit of fear around eating due to the amount of pain I was in for 10 days. I'm trying to remind myself to try, but last night I ate a little corn pasta and had 2 hours of minor pain, but enough to keep me from falling asleep and retreat to the liquid diet for a bit longer.

Both the emergency room Doc. and my specialist said if I'm keeping lots of fluids down and the output isn't drastic, it's OK for the time being.

I see the Gastro in just over a week and my specialist again in two weeks (she wanted to hear the follow up from the Gastro and check in on me).

I still haven't heard what the tests at the hospital showed, but my NP promised that if there was anything she would call.

My "gut" (haha) tells me that it was just the stomach virus going around that set off a flare of inflammation of some kind (colitis?). My immune system just doesn't seem to be able to manage these stomach viruses. I had the same problem (although less severe) when I got stomach flu at the end of December.

4 comments:

  1. Goodness that is a lot of wt to lose in 2 weeks. I know when my stomach was at its worst a year ago I los 17lb because eating was just no fun. It still is not easy for me at times and my diet is very limited but I am not losing wt anymore and do fine I guess. Mine was not due to flu though, just LYME and Bart. It could be that you have something else going on...Did they check for H Pylori too? Sounds like the doctors are trying hard to find an answer for you...that is good! Take care and as you know this is NOT your fault. Good grief..pacing is important so is rest but sometimes it is more than that...much much more. Wishing you better days soon upnorth. Really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have found probiotics very beneficial. My immune system improved a lot when I added them in as well as many other issues I was having.

    I hope you get answers and improvement soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still reading your blog and sending you light to the best of my ability. My blog is back up, such as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God.... You really are being tested constantly... It seems like a form of torture reading your last few posts.

    How sad that you didn't feel you could tell the hospital about your ME. But it sounds like you made the right decision.

    My mother had something similar with her stomach a while back. Colitis was mentioned too. I remember looking it up. Its quite gross what happens in the stomach if I remember correctly, and VERY painful. I would have to say some of my worst 'sick' experiences are those of having a stomach virus on top of my illness. There's noting worse... I feel for you.

    I've also been having vertigo/dizziness/lightheadedness (quite hard to distinguish sometimes) with migraines every other day, and a fast beating heart. It's a pain in the ass!

    I really am so sorry you are continuously suffering like this... I'll be thinking of you xx : )

    ReplyDelete